Is 'having fun' worthwhile?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Young Philosophers Forum
  3. » Is 'having fun' worthwhile?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 03:54 am
In a way in continuance from my thread 'what is worthwhile' I would like to propose is 'having fun' worthwhile? What purposes does it serve - is it as productive as other activites? Because when you boil it down to its simplest is it not just the temporary release of endorphins in the brain?

I suppose it helps strengthen bonds with you and others and makes for memories that you can look back on with nostalgia, but what is an 'ideal' amount of fun? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a boring fun-hating recluse or anything, I just question its value.

Jebediah

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 09:29 am
@BennySquire,
It's value is self evident. Everything else we do that is "productive" we only do because we have the capacity to enjoy ourselves.

jgweed

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 10:21 am
@BennySquire,
It almost seems that it is taken for granted that any "fun" is automatically not worthwhile, but is this always the case? Whitewashing the wood fence, a worthwhile project, can be fun (remember Tom Sawyer?).

Twirlip

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 10:26 am
@BennySquire,
BennySquire;167620 wrote:
In a way in continuance from my thread 'what is worthwhile' I would like to propose is 'having fun' worthwhile? What purposes does it serve - is it as productive as other activites? Because when you boil it down to its simplest is it not just the temporary release of endorphins in the brain?

I suppose it helps strengthen bonds with you and others and makes for memories that you can look back on with nostalgia, but what is an 'ideal' amount of fun? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a boring fun-hating recluse or anything, I just question its value.

Having fun can teach you to appreciate the great things that people can do, and not to be narrow-minded.

These are lessons I need to learn, so I must virtuously apply myself to having fun.

theguy0000

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 07:49 pm
@Twirlip,
Well you would have to define worthwhile. There are some who would say the only point of life is to enjoy it as much as possible. Of course living in this way would make society fall apart as everyone would be sitting at home masturbating 24/7 (joke Razz)

Is doing work really worthwhile? Sure you have something to show, but if it didn't increase happiness for you then what's the point?

I think the trick is to balance fun and work to get a lifestyle that makes you valuable and able to help others, while not giving up your own happiness.

If life is not fun, what is the point of living?

prothero

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 12:17 am
@BennySquire,
In the end, it may be the only thing that is "worthwhile".

harlequin phil

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 07:27 pm
@BennySquire,
depends on what you mean by "having fun." play is important. it's how we learn. it strengthens bonds between humans and helps us develop social skills, coping skills, etc. even as adults play is important. i go out and ride my mountain bike, which is fun. to me it's play. for some it's getting a "workout" and exercising, getting healthy, etc.

going out and getting stupid drunk is "fun" but is it worthwhile? if you need to blow off steam and de-stress, yeah, i think it's worthwhile. all depends on how you look at it. to me, "having fun" is worthwhile, you can't always be "serious" and stoic. i think you should "have fun" no matter what you are doing, no matter how important or serious the task, you can "have fun" with it.

i agree with prothero up there. having fun might be the only thing worthwhile.

Sevis

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 11:51 pm
@BennySquire,
That depends on how it is you're having fun -- but I am quite sure most people can find something that they enjoy, that is at the same time constructive and `worthwhile' by most definitions of the word. There is no need to be idle to have fun, and thus there is plenty of opportunity to make it worthwhile.

Idle fun? Well, I can see why some people could enjoy not doing anything at all, and I would say that it can be worthwhile when, as with all other things, taken in moderation. Everyone needs a break once in a while, and although I would say that it is one of the least worthwhile things to do, I do not see it as a negative activity.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Young Philosophers Forum
  3. » Is 'having fun' worthwhile?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 05:40:35