Why all the depression?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Young Philosophers Forum
  3. » Why all the depression?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 09:28 am
Since I started Sixth Form a lot of my friends' personalities seem to have diminished and everyone in general seems less communicative and happy than in the previous year. Why do you think this is? I assume it is mainly the pressure of work, but I heard some of my friends saying that they do not feel invincible anymore (there have become aware that they will die) - could this be the reason?

In general why do so many people think "life is s***"? Do they not realise how utterly unlikely it is that they are alive at all - and that death is nothing to fear, just 'non-existence', which the human brain cannot comprehend anyway? It seems so irrational and pointless to me!

TuringEquivalent

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 09:47 am
@BennySquire,
BennySquire;163437 wrote:
Since I started Sixth Form a lot of my friends' personalities seem to have diminished and everyone in general seems less communicative and happy than in the previous year. Why do you think this is? I assume it is mainly the pressure of work, but I heard some of my friends saying that they do not feel invincible anymore (there have become aware that they will die) - could this be the reason?

In general why do so many people think "life is s***"? Do they not realise how utterly unlikely it is that they are alive at all - and that death is nothing to fear, just 'non-existence', which the human brain cannot comprehend anyway? It seems so irrational and pointless to me!

Because life sucks.

BennySquire

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:02 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Thank you for that useless reply. Anyone else got anything better to say?

Twirlip

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:08 am
@BennySquire,
Life really, truly sucks?

BennySquire

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:09 am
@Twirlip,
How did you come to that conclusion?

TuringEquivalent

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:09 am
@BennySquire,
BennySquire;163454 wrote:
Thank you for that useless reply. Anyone else got anything better to say?

Like your topic is so useful. O.. people are so depress.

BennySquire

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:11 am
@TuringEquivalent,
At least tell me your job and background so I can determine if your simplistic conclusion is valid.

Twirlip

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:13 am
@BennySquire,
Perhaps the clue is in the question:
BennySquire;163437 wrote:
In general why do so many people think "life is s***"? [...] It seems so irrational and pointless to me!

BennySquire

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:15 am
@BennySquire,
I think that is so because those people fail to see so much, and do not appreciate what they have. If you're not going to contribute to the discussion, post somewhere else.

Twirlip

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:19 am
@BennySquire,
OK. Have a nice day.

BennySquire

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:20 am
@Twirlip,
Thank you and I will.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:28 am
@BennySquire,
BennySquire;163463 wrote:
At least tell me your job and background so I can determine if your simplistic conclusion is valid.

Is that to make your topic more useful?

BennySquire

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:31 am
@TuringEquivalent,
If it isn't useful, don't post in it Smile

TuringEquivalent

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:35 am
@BennySquire,
BennySquire;163475 wrote:
If it isn't useful, don't post in it Smile

I am sure you think it is useful. What use is there?:shifty:
I hope it is not useless as my reply.

BennySquire

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:48 am
@BennySquire,
Your reply is most certainly useless, because you posted in my thread which you do not believe is useful, giving no useful input but only criticising. Now shush Smile

TuringEquivalent

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:50 am
@BennySquire,
BennySquire;163486 wrote:
Your reply is most certainly useless, because you posted in my thread which you do not believe is useful, giving no useful input but only criticising. Now shush Smile

So, your thread is useless?

BennySquire

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:53 am
@BennySquire,
No, it is not. Now be useful and tell me why this site won't let me create a sig even though it is less than 2 lines long, then beat it. Smile

TuringEquivalent

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:59 am
@BennySquire,
BennySquire;163490 wrote:
No, it is not. Now be useful and tell me why this site won't let me create a sig even though it is less than 2 lines long, then beat it. Smile

lol.... This is funny. You thread is probably the worst one here. It seems you have a bad day at work, and need to write something ridiculous. Being useless is nice. It is actually pathetic..lol

sometime sun

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 11:37 am
@Twirlip,
Could be that the more information become available the more we must make the choice of what to learn.
And we all find we are bad at making choices for ourselves and finding this we see we cant make informed choices for others.
Spiral, how do I choose if I cant be chosen, how can I be chosen if I cant choose.

Jebediah

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 11:51 am
@BennySquire,
I think it's a good question. Benny, I doubt there is a rational reason for being depressed. But probably there are rational explanations for why people act irrationally. People tend to think irrationally, and chemical imbalances can aggravate or cause that.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Young Philosophers Forum
  3. » Why all the depression?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:15:28