what makes human life more valuable than spiders'?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

khalid10

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 10:49 pm
@Shinhyung,
Humans have concious and all animals(Spiders) dont so we kind of are but they do feel pain so we shouldnt kill it unless your starving to death and need to

manored

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 10:15 am
@Rwa001,
Rwa001;154699 wrote:
A human may be incapable of building a web, but we have created materials that are stronger than the web, and we can duplicate the functionality of a web with ease. We have houses and bug-catchers. Bam. More capable than a spider.

I think the main issue here is that we're not all on the same page. Are we trying to decide what it would mean to be 'better'?
I think there is no way to make a non-humanely biased decision, witch is fine, since we dont have to answer to anything other than other humans =)

khalid10;159790 wrote:
Humans have concious and all animals(Spiders) dont so we kind of are but they do feel pain so we shouldnt kill it unless your starving to death and need to
But what is the problem of causing pain to something that has no value? Pain is just an alarm system after all.

platorepublic

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 10:19 am
@Shinhyung,
I guess it depends on the human, and it depends on the spider. Spiders are awesome! They spin really strong webs and we are inspired by it - look at all the material that make our modern bridges - they are inspired by spider webs!

north

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 09:19 pm
@Shinhyung,
Shinhyung;88093 wrote:
I was thinking about this while killing a spider one day. I was quite scared to touch it or smash and burst it (urrgh) so I hoovered it! Well it must have been a shock and torture for it and I'm a bit sorry, but I find myself thinking, "well it's only a spider..."

I wouldn't have got over it so easily killing another person though.

Why is a person's life better than a spider's (I'm sure it is!!)? Because we are bigger? Live longer? Are cleverer? Or do we only think it because we are human ourselves?

(:popcorn:I just found out there were loads more smilies than I thought and I just love this one called popcorn.:offtopic:)

a persons life

because Humanity in the end , our survival , is , should be , our priority , always

( without devestating our enviroment )

khalid10

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 11:25 pm
@manored,
manored;160005 wrote:
I think there is no way to make a non-humanely biased decision, witch is fine, since we dont have to answer to anything other than other humans =)

But what is the problem of causing pain to something that has no value? Pain is just an alarm system after all.

The problem is you wouldn want that to happen to you even if you have no concious but when killing human they have emotions and you feel guilt after you have killed them wich is also an alarm system to not do it
`

Sevis

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 04:31 am
@Shinhyung,
Mostly in response to the OP:

Consider the following: For some reason, I got a little paint on my wall. Not all too much, but it is clearly visible, and makes a weird shape. If I disliked it, I could paint over it or get it off, destroying it -- or I could leave it be, ignore it while I don't mind it. Whatever choice I made, I would not care what this paint thought of it.

The same about the spider: I could just leave it be, ignore it -- or, I could decide to rid myself of it. It would be a matter of mood, of fancy -- the spider is a noticeable irregularity in the otherwise insect-less space, just as the paint is an irregularity on the otherwise single-colour wall.

What makes a human different? For one, some humans are to me quite more than just a bother. I may enjoy their company, or have use for them. Thus, I would likely never want to simply squish these ones. As for the others, I lack the possibility to squish them.

placebo

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 04:54 am
@Shinhyung,
We are humans, so value human life more than other forms of life. We share more with human fellows than a spider. The death of a human reminds us our own fate, rather than a spider's. Killing humans is not an established custom, and prohibited by the law, and we conditioned not to kill. Enough reason, I think.

OFF:This question is in close relation with the debate on abortion: What makes a child's life more valuable than an embryo's?

manored

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 09:30 am
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;160006 wrote:
I guess it depends on the human, and it depends on the spider. Spiders are awesome! They spin really strong webs and we are inspired by it - look at all the material that make our modern bridges - they are inspired by spider webs!
Indeed. I dont mind killing a spider, but killing a whole species would need some study on the matter =)

khalid10;160222 wrote:
The problem is you wouldn want that to happen to you even if you have no concious but when killing human they have emotions and you feel guilt after you have killed them wich is also an alarm system to not do it
`
Not having a conscience and being me are not things that can be concilliated. I am my conscience, after all.

north;160200 wrote:
a persons life

because Humanity in the end , our survival , is , should be , our priority , always

( without devestating our enviroment )
I think that the only reason to not devastate our enviroment is because that would be bad for our survival.

placebo;160276 wrote:

OFF:This question is in close relation with the debate on abortion: What makes a child's life more valuable than an embryo's?
The child has a more developed and therefore more unique mind and, on top of that, its further along the path of growth, that is, closer from being a working member of the society and therefore more likely to survive until then.

youdontknowme phil

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 01:15 am
@Shinhyung,
Shinhyung;88093 wrote:
I was thinking about this while killing a spider one day. I was quite scared to touch it or smash and burst it (urrgh) so I hoovered it! Well it must have been a shock and torture for it and I'm a bit sorry, but I find myself thinking, "well it's only a spider..."

I wouldn't have got over it so easily killing another person though.

Why is a person's life better than a spider's (I'm sure it is!!)? Because we are bigger? Live longer? Are cleverer? Or do we only think it because we are human ourselves?

(:popcorn:I just found out there were loads more smilies than I thought and I just love this one called popcorn.:offtopic:)

humans have complicated emotions which they can express to you or you can feel if you were to kill someone or hurt someone, humans can communicate their sorrow or hatred or anger towards you which will cause you to sympathize.

If you were to hurt a spider or even kill it, it wouldn't feel great sorrow or hatred towards you, even if it did, you wouldn't know because you can't interact or communicate with a spider, and you can't really sympathize with a spider...

The question isn't what makes a human life more valuable than a spiders, its what makes killing a human so wrong, when no one cares about the life of a spider, and well i just answered that Lol. :detective:

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 10:30:51