Random thoughts (free will)

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Young Philosophers Forum
  3. » Random thoughts (free will)

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 09:16 am
So lately ive been thinking about about the concept of free will and if we even have that ability or not. And now i feel the need to vent. So you see i have a girlfriend, she is a couple years younger than me and well, i like her alot, and it seems that she feels the same for me. Since ive had the whole free will thing in my head alot lately and my girlfriend also, i found myself merging the two together. I thought that if people do have free will, then this girl is the most amazing person in the world, because she chose to be with me on her own, without help of other forces other than her own mind. I as also thinking, if free will was just an illusion, then what is it that choses things like who people are attracted to. Is it an external force? Or within our own minds? These questions have been staring me in the face for a while, and i cant seem to come to a conclusin.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 09:37 am
@9289599639499539488182957,
Ποσειδῶν;102989 wrote:
So lately ive been thinking about about the concept of free will and if we even have that ability or not. And now i feel the need to vent. So you see i have a girlfriend, she is a couple years younger than me and well, i like her alot, and it seems that she feels the same for me. Since ive had the whole free will thing in my head alot lately and my girlfriend also, i found myself merging the two together. I thought that if people do have free will, then this girl is the most amazing person in the world, because she chose to be with me on her own, without help of other forces other than her own mind. I as also thinking, if free will was just an illusion, then what is it that choses things like who people are attracted to. Is it an external force? Or within our own minds? These questions have been staring me in the face for a while, and i cant seem to come to a conclusin.

Obviously, there are causes why people are attracted to one another. Nothing comes out of the blue. And psychologists are aware of what at least some of these causes are. And if you reflect on it I am sure that you can guess at some of them in your own case. But, that doesn't mean that you (or the girl) did not chose one another of your own free will. Perhaps you like intelligent girls rather than stupid ones. So, her being intelligent was one one of her characteristics that attracted you. But, so what? Does that mean that you did not choose to care for her of your own free will? Why. You were not forced to care for intelligent girls. You just do, and there are causes for your doing so rather than not doing so. But no one, and nothing, is compelling you to do so. So, in any ordinary meaning of the term, you chose her "of your own free will", and so, I suppose, did she choose you.

xris

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 09:49 am
@kennethamy,
Ive heard it can be something as basic as smell.You smelt good to her, your just a piece of smelly meat.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 10:09 am
@9289599639499539488182957,
Ποσειδῶν;102989 wrote:

When first contemplating free will and determinism it's very easy to become confused, but the key is understanding that free will and determinsm are not necessarily mutually exclusive. That is, they can both exist at the same time. Even if you become convinced that there is a 'force' controlling all that exists, insofar as everything is causally determined or linked, this does not mean you are rendered choice-less. There are causes for all things which occur, yes, but we are still beings capable of choice.

By the same token, we must also remember that we do not have choice over everything. The term "Free will" can often make people imagine that they can do anything they want. I don't find this to be true. We do have limitations, inhibitions, genetic predispositions, and we do have behaviors we must actively overcome to make some things happen. There are tons of models for free will and determinism out there, but I favor Daniel Dennett's - at least, from what I've read of it, it makes the most sense. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Dennett

Be comfortable in knowing that the relationship with your girlfriend is genuine (well, assuming, neither of you are tricking eachother!), and that regardless of the influences that may have relation, she is choosing to stay with you.

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 10:39 am
@xris,
xris;102994 wrote:
Ive heard it can be something as basic as smell.You smelt good to her, your just a piece of smelly meat.

Hahaha, i suppose that might be it :bigsmile:

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Young Philosophers Forum
  3. » Random thoughts (free will)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:57:40