Had enough "students" yet?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Had enough "students" yet?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 01:08 pm
Hello philosophy forum!

I am currently enrolled in a public high school in Houston, Texas, starting my senior year at the end of the summer. As is the case with me most summers, I have little to do and much time to read and think. The result of this time-killing is a desperate search for some answers. Too confused to discern my own thoughts, I decided to look for a forum or something to help me figure out finally, once and for all what I believe. In short, I am joining this forum because I'm tired of my only belief being that "I have no belief." So my purpose for joining this site is deadly serious, actually.

On a lighter note, besides philosophy, I enjoy history and current affairs. My interest in events overseas surpasses even my interest in Truth and philosophy at times, notably. I enjoy classical music, especially Vivaldi and Rossini, but I also listen to upbeat modern songs, like disco and rap. I play the clarinet and always enjoy its beautiful timbre, and of course, like many guys my age, spend most of my hours playing games, video games, on the PC and Xbox, and also sports like Ultimate Frisbee, swimming, and others. Perhaps even more generic of me, I like to spend time with my friends who all know me as the unnecessarily deep thinker. Occasionally I engender meaningful philosophical discussion with them, but it is always fleeting. And, in continuation of this trend from somewhat interesting to evermore predictable traits, I have more than a passing interest in the opposite sex, one of whom occupies a lot of time in my already exhausted mental framework. With all this, just imagine what will happen with the onset of the schoolyear!

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 01:53 pm
@Thucydides,
Welcome to the forums!

Read until your eyes bleed, and then do it again tomorrow. Honestly, that's the best thing any of us can do. Confucius had a saying, something to the effect of: 'An hour's worth of study is more valuable than a full day of contemplation'.

And come here to hash out your thoughts and ideas, to get feedback from peers. That's what we're all about.

Good to have you with us. If you have any questions, just ask. Smile

Justin

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 05:32 pm
@Thucydides,
Hello and welcome Thucydides!

Thanks for introducing yourself and nice to see someone else your age interested in philosophy and discovering yourself. There's much to talk about in the forums and it's rather peaceful discussion with a lot of knowledge and information being shared. Great to see you on here and hope you enjoy the community.

boagie

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 05:55 pm
@Justin,
Thucydides!Smile

Welcome Thucydides, you've made me tired, its is wonderful to here from a young man as vital as you sound to be. Yes this forum makes an excellent sounding board, if you do not get much intellectual stimulation day to day something like this can be vital to your development. At anyrate, we are most pleased to have you with us, enjoy! boagie:D

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Had enough "students" yet?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 02:15:37