Distribution of Fear in Christianity

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 10:12 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
If christianity survives as long in its purity as paganism did it will need another six thousand years...

There is no such thing as paganism. It is a term that Christians used to diminish other spiritual beliefs.

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 12:24 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
Why is it important to believe in Christ and what he did for you?

for you or myself? Or just in general?

Theaetetus wrote:
There is no such thing as paganism. It is a term that Christians used to diminish other spiritual beliefs.

Polytheism is a more accurate term.

Icon

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 12:50 pm
@avatar6v7,
for you or myself? Or just in general?

The good book only provides one answer for this question. If the good book is your guide then you cannot assume another guidance outside of it or you are betraying your religion.

The answer is simple. You believe in Jesus because he cleansed you of your sins to prevent you from going to hell. The only unforgiveable sin is not believeing in Christ which will send you to hell. If you do not ask for forgiveness, you go to hell. The entire religion is based around the concept that doing something against the book sends you to a firey pit of eternal torture... I don't know about you but that seems to be a fear basis to me.

xris

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 01:22 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
Its a handle..who gave that handle is of no consequence...Hindus where killed in their millions by the same god who killed thousands of druids and their priests...They stole our holy places our festivals..changed the stories to corrupt our followers and threatened internal fires for not converting..Pagans never consumed their neighbours land they lived in peace for thousands of years...The old gods will return and drive the new gods from our holy places...

Aedes

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2008 01:25 pm
@xris,
Hindu theology allows for a monotheistic interpretation of all the Vedic gods. It's no different than Christian theology, which allows for a monotheistic interpretation of a holy trinity and saints and angels; but the difference in Christianity is that the monotheistic interpretation is dogmatized (at peril of heresy and hell for disagreement).

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 03:32 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
Its a handle..who gave that handle is of no consequence...Hindus where killed in their millions by the same god who killed thousands of druids and their priests...They stole our holy places our festivals..changed the stories to corrupt our followers and threatened internal fires for not converting..Pagans never consumed their neighbours land they lived in peace for thousands of years...The old gods will return and drive the new gods from our holy places...

In the case of hinduism and islam, certainly. Also in the case of the teutonic order and german conquest of modern day latvia, lithuaniam and estonia. However those holding polytheisitc faiths ranged from the peace loving and civilised athenians (though I would like to point out that one of the greatest athenian thinkers -socrates- was anti-polytheist and was killed for his beliefs)
to the totalitarian and bloody faith of the carthaginians, to rather more mixed faiths like that of the romans, who on the one hand were very civilised, but had their own cult of blood in the arenas, and themselves waged a war on the druidic faith, cutting down sacred groves. The Jews were monotheistic since early times, and did not impose their faith on others, thought they fought a number of wars for varying reasons. Christianity was spread mostly peacefully(with an exception as shown above), with pagan countries in scandanavia, and in ireland, converting peacefully. Many of the great pagan traditions and festivals are preserved in Christian rites and buildings. For instance there are many 'green men' carved in the Cathedral nearby myself, and the bible itself draws on pagan mytholgy- with the turning of water into wine reminicant of dyinisiac 'miracles'

charles brough

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 06:29 am
@Justin,
Myself, I am not concerned even if the claim Obama is a radical is true. We need to undo some of what the ultra-conservative, affluent class privitizing pros have done during the Bush Administration.

Also, even a Democratic Congress will not allow any President to do much in the way of change.

I am more concerned with the chaos that would follow if he is assassinated.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 12:50:34