First-Science

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 07:19 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo wrote:

For me, one question breeds another. I am surprised that no one is engaging this notion.

I am not.

de Silentio

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 06:37 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Ding an Sich wrote:

Kant actually did read Hume if Im not mistaken. How else would he have awoken from his "dogmatic slumber"?

And if he didnt, I will not make the same mistake. Ill actually read Hume. In fact Ill read him after I am done with Schopenhauer.

I am sorry, I was mistaken. I thought I remembered reading that Kant's exposure to Hume was through a partial translation of the Enquiry by a man named Beattie. However, I was sadly mistaken. Apparently that was only one of the sources.

If you have access to JSTOR through your university, search for "Kant's Debt to Hume via Beattie" by Robert Wolff. I must have breezed through this a couple years ago and since created some false memories.

As to how Kant would have been awoken, I thought he was awoken through the bits and pieces that Beattie published. You had said you read bits and pieces so I, more or less jokingly, compared that with what I said about Kant.

Sorry for the misinformation.

(if you don't have access to JSTOR, let me know)

Ding an Sich

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 12:57 pm
@de Silentio,
de Silentio wrote:

Ding an Sich wrote:

Kant actually did read Hume if Im not mistaken. How else would he have awoken from his "dogmatic slumber"?

And if he didnt, I will not make the same mistake. Ill actually read Hume. In fact Ill read him after I am done with Schopenhauer.

I am sorry, I was mistaken. I thought I remembered reading that Kant's exposure to Hume was through a partial translation of the Enquiry by a man named Beattie. However, I was sadly mistaken. Apparently that was only one of the sources.

If you have access to JSTOR through your university, search for "Kant's Debt to Hume via Beattie" by Robert Wolff. I must have breezed through this a couple years ago and since created some false memories.

As to how Kant would have been awoken, I thought he was awoken through the bits and pieces that Beattie published. You had said you read bits and pieces so I, more or less jokingly, compared that with what I said about Kant.

Sorry for the misinformation.

(if you don't have access to JSTOR, let me know)

He might have been awaken via Beattie's translation, which would be pretty sad on Kant's part. Nevertheless Hume did wake him up, even if it was through bits and pieces.

I do not have access to JSTOR, but I do have access to this really nice philosophy section at Slippery Rock's library. All the philosophy I could need at this point, and a little more haha. Oh yea and Logic and History blah blah blah.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 5.6 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 05:22:14