The Selfish Nature Of All Actions

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 10:40 pm
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
Yes, I agree with that. As to whether the second is psychologically possible - well, I think it probably is. For example, if one is feeling guilty about a past act, one might attempt consciously to boost one's moral credit by doing a good deed that one would not otherwise have done. One could still feel virtuous about this, on account of (a) the objective good one has done, and (b) the self-imposed hardship or effort involved in doing it. (I have probably been guilty of such behaviour myself on occasions!) But I think such cases are the exception rather than the rule.

But knowing what your motive was would certainly take the sheen off it, wouldn't it?

ACB

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 08:42 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
But knowing what your motive was would certainly take the sheen off it, wouldn't it?

Yes, it would to some extent. But the existence of such cases means that the assertion "All actions are selfish" need not be either obviously false or trivially true. There is room for argument as to what proportion of actions towards others is performed primarily for the purpose of feeling good oneself. Cynics might say all or most; others (including myself) would say that the majority of such actions are performed out of a sense of moral duty, the other's welfare being the primary consideration. Many altruistic acts, after all, have a low 'feelgood' factor compared to the effort or hardship involved.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 01:10 pm
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
Yes, it would to some extent. But the existence of such cases means that the assertion "All actions are selfish" need not be either obviously false or trivially true. There is room for argument as to what proportion of actions towards others is performed primarily for the purpose of feeling good oneself. Cynics might say all or most; others (including myself) would say that the majority of such actions are performed out of a sense of moral duty, the other's welfare being the primary consideration. Many altruistic acts, after all, have a low 'feelgood' factor compared to the effort or hardship involved.

I suppose that "all actions are selfish" means, "all actions" So if only one action is not selfish, then it is false. I am supposing that at least one action is not selfish, so I conclude that all actions are selfish is false. I have no idea what proportion of actions are selfish, especially if you are going to classify being nice to make yourself feel good as a selfish action, and I don't even know how we could tell. However that would be a sociological study (if it could be conducted) and would have little to do with philosophy. But, as I said, that all actions are selfish is obviously false.

Elmud

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 07:56 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Good morning Vietnam![time warp]

This is a premise a great many people have difficulty accepting.The premise is that no matter what you chose to do or chose not to do it is still selfish.You reach for a glass of water,there is a rational then for doing so,and that rational is selfish.Someone does something kind and supposedly selfless for another,the rational goes back to what this person believes they themselves are.If the idea they have of themselves is one of a kind and compassionate human being,then they must do this action to maintain the idea they have of themselves,thus it is first selfish.The religious might find this difficult to incorporated or embrace but it is necessarily universal. I don't believe you can find an acception to this premise,you are invited to do so of course.Perhaps you can expand on this theme that would be most welcome as well.Are there any particular examples you would like to explore?

It is a dreamy moving not quite thing only the illusion is the grasp of the ring!

A woman nurturing her child. no matter how you look at it, its about the child.

boagie

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 12:05 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
A woman nurturing her child. no matter how you look at it, its about the child.

Elmud,Smile

In order for the mother to care for the child, it must be the mothers will to care for the child, action is the enactment of the will, and will is personal. Will is the formation of intent on the part of a subject, the act then is self-fulfilling, and thus first and foremost selfish= fulfilling ones will. One cannot act but in accordance with ones will. In other words, she wants to care for the child. In the case of child neglect, it is obviously not the will of the mother to look after the child. This however has been beaten to death, and is lost to many due to semantics, thus the unusual length of this thread.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 04:28 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Elmud,Smile

In order for the mother to care for the child, it must be the mothers will to care for the child, action is the enactment of the will, and will is personal. Will is the formation of intent on the part of a subject, the act then is self-fulfilling, and thus first and foremost selfish= fulfilling ones will. One cannot act but in accordance with ones will. In other words, she wants to care for the child. In the case of child neglect, it is obviously not the will of the mother to look after the child. This however has been beaten to death, and is lost to many due to semantics, thus the unusual length of this thread.

As usual, just because X does something voluntarily, she is selfish. So if a person voluntarily permit himself to be tortured to death to save a friend, that person is acting selfishly. As Aristotle says in a somewhat different context, no one would argue this way unless he were arguing for the sake of argument, (and not to establish the truth). Why should you make "selfish" mean the same thing as "acting voluntarily"? There is no reason for it, at least none that you have ever given. So why should we accept that suggestion and obscure the difference between laying down you life for a friend, and doing something that exploits your friend for your own gain? Philosophy is supposed to clarify, not confuse.

Elmud

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 06:01 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Elmud,Smile

I respectfully disagree. I think it is an instinctual thing. But that is a story in itself. thanks for the reply though.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 07:10 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
I respectfully disagree. I think it is an instinctual thing. But that is a story in itself. thanks for the reply though.

Instinctual or not, how is a mother's sacrifice for her child selfish? She is not depriving her child of anything to which the child is entitled to the child's detriment for her own benefit, is she? So whether it is instinctual seems to have nothing to do with it.

Elmud

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 08:11 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Instinctual or not, how is a mother's sacrifice for her child selfish? She is not depriving her child of anything to which the child is entitled to the child's detriment for her own benefit, is she? So whether it is instinctual seems to have nothing to do with it.

It is not. Not to me. It is selfless. I think it is instinctual though in a sense. Much the same that animals care for their own. It is who they are. who they are and what they are. They just are, selfless. So, I agree with you in the sense that a mothers care for her child is one of total selflessness. Instinctual or not. Just my opinion.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 09:46 pm
@Elmud,
That the mother sacrifices means, by definition, that her action was selfless as opposed to selfish.

To define "selfish" as "any act of the will", as Boagie tries to do, is to reinvent the term "selfish" entirely. That's simply not what the word means in the English language.

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 09:59 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

To define "selfish" as "any act of the will", as Boagie tries to do, is to reinvent the term "selfish" entirely. That's simply not what the word means in the English language.

This is what Ayn Rand pretty much argues for in the Virtue of Selfishness, which probably says more than I feel like putting effort into saying right now. To alter the definition of words at will for conveniences sake, destroys the purpose of language as a means for understanding through communication.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 10:16 pm
@Theaetetus,
I disagree with your interpretation of Rand. She was an ethical egoist, not a psychological egoist: to say that all actions are necessarily selfish is psychological egoism, and a refutation of ethical egoism.

Rand assumed, correctly, that altruistic acts are possible. She just thought they were immoral.

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 10:21 pm
@boagie,
Sorry, I forgot it is not Rand that argue for that it her book, it is Nathaniel Braden that tries to in the same book in the essays "The Psychology of Pleasure" and "Mental Health versus Mysticism and Self-Sacrifice" (Virtue of Selfishness is a collection of essays by Rand and Braden). He was the psychological egoist, and you are right, Rand was an ethical egoist.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 10:29 pm
@Theaetetus,
It was many years ago that I read Virtue of Selfishness, so I do not recall the Branden articles, though I do remember him having contributed some articles to the work.

That's interesting: as dogmatic as Rand was, she allowed Branden to implicitly argue against her conception of Objectivism.

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 10:38 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
It was many years ago that I read Virtue of Selfishness, so I do not recall the Branden articles, though I do remember him having contributed some articles to the work.

That's interesting: as dogmatic as Rand was, she allowed Branden to implicitly argue against her conception of Objectivism.

I actually just grabbed that piece of trash again, and then looked over Braden's work. He does not really argue for the selfish nature of all actions, but it seems like he wants to. His essays don't really make sense, and his arguments are weak to nonexistent. Probably because if he did argue for what he hints at, he would refute much of Rand's work. He mentions ethics and then talks about psychology. In a sense, by including his writing, it makes Rand look that much better.

boagie

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 10:42 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
That the mother sacrifices means, by definition, that her action was selfless as opposed to selfish.

Didymos Thomas,Smile

Please by all means put it in your own terms, as long as it expresses the fact that the first interest served is that of the will of the subject which preforms the action, and that this is encompassing of all actions. Obviously the terms used prior to this has created an impass for many people. So, if you can reword it getting that point across, that the will of the subject is of necessity the will first served, I would most appreciate it Thomas!!! The point has always been, if I am serving my own will, can the act be said to be purely altruistic. Every action, is the enactment of said will, whether it is later judged to be selfless or selfish. If you can get this through to people Thomas your better man than me.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 10:46 pm
@boagie,
Well, considering that there are about a hundred posts in this thread that do so, Boagie, I'm not inclined to repeat myself and repeat others.

boagie

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 10:52 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Right!!Smile Thomas, it has been made so clearly in the past. That is why the two concepts are still being confused---my champion!!!

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 10:57 pm
@boagie,
At some point in time, threads run their course, and this one has appeared to long ago.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 11:50 pm
@Theaetetus,
Right, because some people make the same assertions over and over again without addressing the plethora of counter-arguments. :whistling:

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 11:00:10