Modelling Thematic Value

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Logic
  3. » Modelling Thematic Value

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 11:16 pm
What is the logic behind not being able to mathematically express irrational sort-to-speak values or themes... you know, relative terms. Good, evil, etc. I mean, as long as I have the system (society) in which the variables (themes) have an influence on, then why can't such themes be mathematically determined. I'm not saying that a variable can be assigned an absolute value, but why not determine the probable margin of the value based on relative information which also has a probable value.

ogre

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:05 am
@Holiday20310401,
Maybe the question is to find the constant that defines logic in the first place. A probable value may be possible to find if one is able to define the constant that defines the probability of finding the absolute value.

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:31 am
@Holiday20310401,
Because the reference point of "good," "bad," and other relative terms are relative, they would have no meaning mathematically. Sure it is more probable that some thing are thought of as good or bad, but no guarantee.

I wonder though why you would want to determine these values mathematically or what would be the purpose. Now if we only had an infinite possibility machine to determine the values...

ogre

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:00 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
Now if we only had an infinite possibility drive to determine the values...

I wonder sometimes if the Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy actually got it right????

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:22 am
@ogre,
ogre wrote:
I wonder sometimes if the Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy actually got it right????

Actually, in the HH Guide, it was the infinite improbability drive. Good thing there is a two to the power of two hundred and seventy-six thousand, seven hundred and nine to one against chance of being picked up by another ship in the thirty seconds you can survive in the total vacuum of space with a lungs filled with air. It may come in handy sometime in the future.

ogre

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 06:36 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus do I detect a hint of liberterianism in your signature?? Or maybe just a dislike for Ayan Rand.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Logic
  3. » Modelling Thematic Value
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 02:01:58