Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 10:37 am
@kennethamy,
Fil. Albuquerque;158381 wrote:

---------- Post added 04-30-2010 at 07:51 AM ----------

Lisbon come later on...

---------- Post added 04-30-2010 at 08:18 AM ----------

kennethamy;158429 wrote:
Yes, as logicians would say, logic is a (very) necessary condition, but not a sufficient condition for philosophy. But, it is a necessary condition. It, by itself, is not enough. But without it, there is nothing but painting pretty pictures on the wall.

And logic is not just thinking. It is correct thinking. It need not be how you think, but it is how you ought to think.

Analogy is fine, but only if there is really an analogy, and you don't just think there is an analogy. If there is not really an analogy, an analogy is worse than useless. It is misleading. And how do you think you tell whether an analogy is really an analogy; whether the analogy is correct? You guessed it. You need logic to do that.

Philosophizing is like rowing a boat (analogy). And without oars or logic (analogy) you cannot get anywhere.

I have once read a small book about Magic and Emotion by JP Satre. I do not understand it. Is it magic if something changes through emotions. Does Philosophy only deals with lifeless materials and not with Life itself anymore ?:Not-Impressed:

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 12:50 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;158434 wrote:
I have once read a small book about Magic and Emotion by JP Satre. I do not understand it. Is it magic if something changes through emotions. Does Philosophy only deals with lifeless materials and not with Life itself anymore ?:Not-Impressed:

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 01:24 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;158472 wrote:

[CENTER]:bigsmile:

I never disapproved of logic but see it not as the only way to wisdom. Associative thinking, analogica, chance... It could all work to Wisdom.

Sometimes is a problem not logical.

[/CENTER]

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 01:39 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;158416 wrote:
I am terrible at logic ! I think it's so boring. Correlation, waiting in the right line in the supermarket, chance and probability.

I share your intuitive. Logic is very boring, but it is necessary to show us the truth.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 02:33 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;158705 wrote:
I share your intuitive. Logic is very boring, but it is necessary to show us the truth.

Logic is neither boring nor exciting. But some people find logic boring, while other people find logic exciting or interesting. I find logic exciting or interesting.

But, of course, logic is vital. No one can philosophize without it.

Aristotle invented the subject of logic (no one invented logic). And his discussion of logic was in his book, Organon. "Organon" in ancient Greek means, "tool". And that is what logic is, it is a tool or an instrument. It is used to do things. Mostly, to think correctly, and discover truth. It is useful to discover truth. Very useful.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 03:33 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;158731 wrote:
Logic is neither boring nor exciting. But some people find logic boring, while other people find logic exciting or interesting. I find logic exciting or interesting.

But, of course, logic is vital. No one can philosophize without it.

Aristotle invented the subject of logic (no one invented logic). And his discussion of logic was in his book, Organon. "Organon" in ancient Greek means, "tool". And that is what logic is, it is a tool or an instrument. It is used to do things. Mostly, to think correctly, and discover truth. It is useful to discover truth. Very useful.

When i say "logic is boring", what i mean is "i find logic boring". If you disagree, then we disagree on our attitude toward the subject. No amount of convincing would amount to anything.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 03:38 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;158765 wrote:
When i say "logic is boring", what i mean is "i find logic boring". If you disagree, then we disagree on our attitude toward the subject. No amount of convincing would amount to anything.

Yes, just as long as you realize that is what you mean.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 04:33 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;158766 wrote:
Yes, just as long as you realize that is what you mean.

You pay way too much detail on unnecessary things. That might not be so good if you want a social life.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 04:38 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;158816 wrote:
You pay way too much detail on unnecessary things. That might not be so good if you want a social life.

I guess that has something to do with what I wrote, but at the moment, I cannot imagine what that might be.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 04:58 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;158821 wrote:
I guess that has something to do with what I wrote, but at the moment, I cannot imagine what that might be.

Let me remind you.

I said:

1. "logic is boring"

1 obviously mean:

2 "i find logic boring"

but your unreasonable attention to unnecessary detail see that:

3. The predication "is boring" is wrongly applied to the subject( ie: logic).

This is your unnecessary attention to detail. Why can` t you make the inference from 1 to 2? Instead, you make the inference from 1 to 3. :nonooo:

Night Ripper

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:24 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;158731 wrote:
Logic is neither boring nor exciting. But some people find logic boring, while other people find logic exciting or interesting.

That's what people mean when they say something is boring or exciting, that they find it boring or exciting. Stop wasting time with your pedantry.

TuringEquivalent;158816 wrote:

He's just got some kind of condition that forces him to abandon the principle of charity whenever it's convenient. Yet, he doesn't interpret his own statements so literally.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:44 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;158843 wrote:
Let me remind you.

I said:

1. "logic is boring"

1 obviously mean:

2 "i find logic boring"

but your unreasonable attention to unnecessary detail see that:

3. The predication "is boring" is wrongly applied to the subject( ie: logic).

This is your unnecessary attention to detail. Why can` t you make the inference from 1 to 2? Instead, you make the inference from 1 to 3. :nonooo:

I have no problem making the inference, except that it is invalid, but with the additional premise, it is valid.

Suppose I argue as follows:

1. All Men are mortal.

Therefore, 2. Socrates is mortal.

Now that is an invalid argument, since 2 does not follow from 1. However, with the addition of 2', Socrates is a man, then 2 will follow from 1. and 2. In other words, the argument from 1 to 2 is invalid because there is a missing premise, namely, 2'. Technically this is kind of argument which misses a premise is called an, "enthymeme". The same is true of what we have been talking about. What you call, "unnecessary detail" I call "necessary to make an invalid argument, valid". The difference between validity and invalidity is not, in my book, an "unnecessary detail".

There are some people who really think that to say X is boring is to ascribe to X some property X has which is intrinsic to X. Now, you may not be one of those people. And, if you are not, then I congratulate you on you acuity and sagacity. But I really could not tell that from your conversation. In fact, I thought you might have meant that logic was intrinsically boring. So, I thought I should point out that it was not.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:49 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;158915 wrote:

There are some people who really think that to say X is boring is to ascribe to X some property X has which is intrinsic to X. Now, you may not be one of those people. And, if you are not, then I congratulate you on you acuity and sagacity. But I really could not tell that from your conversation. In fact, I thought you might have meant that logic was intrinsically boring. So, I thought I should point out that it was not.

That is why i said:

Quote:

You are bad at spotting meanings. A lot of people in this forum say stupid, invalid things, but i am able to focus on what they mean, because i can spot attitudes of an agent. You can incapable of that.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 07:02 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;158920 wrote:
That is why i said:

You are bad at spotting meanings. A lot of people in this forum say stupid, invalid things, but i am able to focus on what they mean, because i can spot attitudes of an agent. You can incapable of that.

Oh, I would not say that. I think what is true is that I think I spot what they may mean, but I am not so sure as you say you are. And, I am not so sure that when a person says something false or stupid, that they actually mean something else which is no false or stupid. Sometimes people say stupid and false things, and really mean them. Or even if they don't, they do not realize that they are saying something stupid or false. In that case, it is well to point it out, so as to give them the opportunity to say something like, "Yes, that is what I said, and I should not have said it, since it was stupid and false. Here is what I should have said...." They might even be grateful for the chance to correct themselves. What do you think?

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 07:16 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;158927 wrote:
Oh, I would not say that. I think what is true is that I think I spot what they may mean, but I am not so sure as you say you are. And, I am not so sure that when a person says something false or stupid, that they actually mean something else which is no false or stupid. Sometimes people say stupid and false things, and really mean them. Or even if they don't, they do not realize that they are saying something stupid or false. In that case, it is well to point it out, so as to give them the opportunity to say something like, "Yes, that is what I said, and I should not have said it, since it was stupid and false. Here is what I should have said...." They might even be grateful for the chance to correct themselves. What do you think?

I think you are bad at spotting attitudes of different people. I can surely recognize an agent that writes something invalid, but does not mean it. In that case, i reply directly to the meaning. If the agent writes something invalid, and means it, then i will shame them into submission. How is that?

mark noble

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 08:54 am
@chap9898,
Hello fellow thinkers,

Free will is adopted by most fixed-religions in order to accord responsibility for one's own actions. Just to kill that particular baby off - The bible teaches that "All acts are performed BY HIM, FOR HIM and THROUGH HIM. And seeing that god is omnipresent - god must be everywhere and everything, and every process thereof.
And, just to put the icing on the cake - god is present at the beginning and end, and is therefore aware of every event that has taken place. Is it therefore not, impossible to alter ANY event, by even the smallest degree. Otherwise god would be open to random future criteria that would suggest that the subservients of said god could in some way alter the outcome that, unless god is fallible, cannot be altered.

If god is everywhere, then god is every THING
By applying 'Causal-acuity' : god is everything<>everything is god

Now, all we need do is redefine god as "NATURE"
And the answer to this thread is right before our eyes.

After all - What act can you perform that is beyond the parameters of Nature?
And - Nothing is unnatural.

Thank you

Mark

prothero

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 11:03 am
@kennethamy,

[QUOTE=Fil. Albuquerque;158354] My position believes in an educative justice system, not against penalty and punishment, but looking in to it, to cause change in behavior and awareness of one acts and nature...is not about blame and kilt, but about conscience and control... [/QUOTE] Rehabilitation and restorative justice vs. retribution, I completely agree with that. I think however that the notion of free will (the ability to do otherwise) and an open future (many possibilities versus one fixed possibility) is more compatible with an efficacious view towards this approach.

[QUOTE=kennethamy;158377]I This is not a philosophical issue, it is a straight-forwardly factual issue like the spelling of a term. Only it is about the meaning of a term. That it is about the meaning of a philosophical term does not make it a philosophical issue any more than that it is about the spelling of a philosophical term makes it a philosophical issue. The true meaning of a term, so far as I understand that phrase, is simply its meaning. And its meaning consists in the way it is used by those who use it, and in this case, that is philosophers.[/QUOTE] I would like to take your word for it Kenneth, I really would. However, just a simple perusal of the writings of modern philosophers in the area of free will and determinism indicates that the uniformity of use of the terms that you imply does not exist. It is simple clearer to talk about fixity or non fixity of the future and the ability or lack of ability to do otherwise. Clarity, Clarity, Clarity.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 02:01 pm
@prothero,
prothero;159003 wrote:

I would like to take your word for it Kenneth, I really would. However, just a simple perusal of the writings of modern philosophers in the area of free will and determinism indicates that the uniformity of use of the terms that you imply does not exist. It is simple clearer to talk about fixity or non fixity of the future and the ability or lack of ability to do otherwise. Clarity, Clarity, Clarity.

It is sometimes really difficult to determine whether a word is being used differently or not, unless the difference is blatant. The best thing is to go to a reputable dictionary and read what the editors say. After all, when we want to determine the meaning of any term in the language, that is what we do. We go to a reputable dictionary. And there are reputable philosophical dictionaries too. I have cited a definition of "determinism" from what is regarded as a very reputable dictionary of philosophy. The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy. So you don't have to take my word for it. Indeed, you don't even have to take the dictionary's word for it. It is not, after all, as if the editor of the dictionary invented the meaning he cites as the meaning of "determinism". It that were true, then you would have to take his word for it. But that is not how he supports the definition he presents (which would hardly be support). The editor of the dictionary supports his definition of "determinism" by culling how professional philosophers use the term when they communicate with other professional philosophers. So that when one professional philosopher uses the term, "determinism", other professional philosophers immediately know what he means, and then the discussion about whether, for instance, determinism implies free will does not exist can start.

The question for you is what evidence have you that "determinism" is not used by professional philosophers to mean that every event can be subsumed under a natural causal law. Have you any instances where that is not the case? And, of course, the same question need answering by you in the case of the other definitions you dispute. What the meaning of a term is, is a question of fact. Evidence has to be adduced. So, the question for you is whether you can come up with a counterexample to the meaning given in the Cambridge Dictionary of "determinism". That is, a professional philosopher who does not use that term conformably with the definition cited in the Cambridge Dictionary. Can yo do so?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 02:55 pm
@prothero,
prothero;159003 wrote:
No, I think quantum indeterminism puts into serious doubt the notion of a single, fixed possible future but it has little to do with "free will". To substitute randomness (indeterminism) for a single fixed future is not very helpful to the free will cause. I think in actuality Kenneth's position and mine are essentially the same (ability to do otherwise is true, and the future is not fixed) we are just arguing about the meaning of the terms and how philosophers are using them in current discussions of "free will". The mechanism of "free will" as the ability to do otherwise, the efficacy of deliberation, and preservation of moral responsibility is I admit unclear. We however know very little about these things and as I stated before any analogy between the behavior of billiard balls (simple aggregates) and the behavior of human minds (complex societies or organisms) is crude at best. For me there are still many mysteries and unexplained things in the world including the mechanism of mind and of "free will". At the very least we have the ability to "avoid futility" (the endless repetition of the same unrewarded response to a situation) which many lower forms of life do not have.

But quantum Indeterminism also sets aside any kind of responsibility for your actions once you did in fact not caused them entirely...random remember ?

prothero;159003 wrote:
Rehabilitation and restorative justice vs. retribution, I completely agree with that. I think however that the notion of free will (the ability to do otherwise) and an open future (many possibilities versus one fixed possibility) is more compatible with an efficacious view towards this approach.

You cannot be causal and yet escape causality yourself can you ?

prothero;159003 wrote:
Again I completely agree with this but fail to see how a non deterministic or a free will philosophy is incompatible with these notions. In fact I would think it is more compatible.

I did not said it was, but then neither is my view...

prothero;159003 wrote:
This strikes me as sort of a religious notion about purpose in the world, the eventual triumph of good, and things being overall well arranged. I have religious sensibilities as well and I am sympathetic to these views but my vision is one in which the triumph of good is not assured (requires effort on our part) and finding purpose in the world is an individual duty (requires faith of some sort in higher values and meanings).

My "Religion" is fairly abstract when compared with the usual beliefs around, my personnel God is nature and its bible is science and knowledge...in the case, by purpose, I meant a complete system were we can fulfil a roll and play our part in the world...Freedom escapes purpose and a world without a purpose is not worth living in...Smile

prothero

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 04:24 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
[QUOTE=Fil. Albuquerque;159082] But quantum Indeterminism also sets aside any kind of responsibility for your actions once you did in fact not caused them entirely...random remember ? [/QUOTE]
But you both misread and misunderstand me. I specifically state that the stochastic probability (random indeterminism) of quantum events is of no help to the notion of rational deliberation choice and free will. Quantum events and behavior are a good argument against determinism (taken to mean the fixity of the future). Quantum events are not an argument against causality (for even indeterminate events have causes).

There are few structures as complex as the human mind, and such a complex entity (society, organism) may (probably does I would claim) have properties which simple physical systems (aggregates like billiard balls and rocks) do not have. Just because the behavior of simple physical systems display high degrees of order and predictability it does not mean human minds (and hence human behavior) will do the same.

[QUOTE=Fil. Albuquerque;159082] You cannot be causal and yet escape causality yourself can you ? [/QUOTE] I am not sure what that means. I think events have causes. I do not think the same causes always give rise to the same events. I think there is continuing confusion about determinism as the notion that all events have causes and determinism as the notion that there is only one possible future (fixity of the future).

[QUOTE=Fil. Albuquerque;159082] ...in the case, by purpose, I meant a complete system were we can fulfill a roll and play our part in the world...Freedom escapes purpose and a world without a purpose is not worth living in... [/QUOTE] IMHO. Freedom requires a high degree of order and predictability to be useful. For in a world of high degrees of randomness and unpredictability freedom would be of little to no use. On the other hand fixity of the future IMHO removes both purpose and meaning (at least in terms of human creativity, moral responsibility and freedom). The world might still be fulfilling some divine purpose but we humans would be little more than puppets on a string, actors in a play, performing our roles but limited to the given script.

Of course we lack sufficient information to have "knowledge" about any of these things. We have knowledge about quantum events and the orbits of planets but we do not understand the workings of mind in sufficient detail to do anything more than speculate about "free will". It seems to me that we do have sufficient knowledge (quantum indeterminism, chaos systems, fractals, etc) to cast doubt on the fixity of the future and the theology of divine omniscience.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 09:35:32