Can Libertarian Free Will Be Rescued?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

prothero

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 10:30 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;157084 wrote:
But it isn't debatable at all. It has a perfectly well understood standard use. That one or two deviate from that use is no reason to think it is not the standard use of the term. It is the ordinary philosophical use of "determinism".
all events have causes, yes. That does not answer the question if the same causes always give rise to the same events and that question fundamentally is what is of interest in talking about a future with one versus multiple possiblities. Address that, please. And also address just what is the difference between your soft and hard determinism in terms of physical reality not "free will", please.

The only answer one seems to get about "soft determinism" is that it is the notion of determinism that is compatible with free will but that is an evasion of how soft and hard determinism are different in any meaningful physical way. There are subtleties of meaning which are being evaded or glossed over.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 10:38 am
@prothero,
prothero;157130 wrote:
all events have causes, yes. That does not answer the question if the same causes always give rise to the same events and that question fundamentally is what is of interest in talking about a future with one versus multiple possiblities. Address that, please. And also address just what is the difference between your soft and hard determinism in terms of physical reality not "free will", please.

The only answer one seems to get about "soft determinism" is that it is the notion of determinism that is compatible with free will but that is an evasion of how soft and hard determinism are different in any meaningful physical way. There are subtleties of meaning which are being evaded or glossed over.

The same causes do not always cause the same events. For example, dropping a vase sometimes causes it to shatter, but, of course, not invariably.

"Determinism" means the same thing (of course) in the phrase "soft determinism" and in "hard determinism". Both hard determinists and soft determinists are-determinists. But they differ in that hard determinists hold that determinism is incompatible with free will. But soft determinists deny that . What subtleties have you in mind?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 11:52 am
@kennethamy,
Of course the same causes always produce the same events just as similar causes produce similar yet non equal events...

when I say similar I am referring to the similar ensemble effect that causes from different sets a yet apparently equal result...as I said it comes to be just a similar result...

One of the problems underlying this issue is the complete definition of one event, or to put it more clearly the definition of what is exactly happening in that event taken to the extreme...

This considering that the consequence of cause, the after event proceeding from the first, may itself not have sufficient clarification on its know nature just as well...

All this underlies a problem with epistemic possibility, the limits of language and concepts to fully describe the actual state of the world in which we live...

Given this problematic background we resort to probability to describe the relations of cause between events in a productive way, but cannot fully refute the possibility of Determinism being true...

In favour of Determinism there is the problem of the so called emerging properties, when critical mass is achieved to some phenomena show up and that otherwise could not manifest itself, not without the right amount/number of the very same qualitative variables, same is to say, with a different quantitative output...without strong determinism we fail to understand the reasons for the a priori potential of a behaviour that had not yet happened once lacking critical mass conditions, but that nevertheless must be accounted as a pre-condition or an a priori condition of what a given object/phenomena is designed to support with the right circumstances even if this circumstances have not yet come to past...

---------- Post added 04-27-2010 at 01:00 PM ----------

prothero

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 01:29 pm
@chap9898,
Of course what juries and lawyers and even the man on the street are interested in is whether "the defendent" could in fact given the situation have acted otherwise. They are not interested in innane discussions about hard and soft forms of determinism and causes.
They "assume" (and rightfully so in my opinion) that the future is not limited to only one possible sequence of events even if all events do have causes. In lay language they do not accept "the fixed iron block universe" or the type of determinism suggested by Laplaces demon and the mechanistic machine like universe of classical mechanics.
We all "assume" that there are alternative courses of action available to us which will result in a difference in our individual futures (again rightfully so, I assert).

Carrying on about events, causes, hard, soft determinism evades the fundamental issue about fixed versus multiple possiblities for the future and for human actions.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 02:40 pm
@prothero,

kennethamy

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 02:47 pm
@prothero,
prothero;157204 wrote:
Of course what juries and lawyers and even the man on the street are interested in is whether "the defendent" could in fact given the situation have acted otherwise. They are not interested in innane discussions about hard and soft forms of determinism and causes.

That's true. So what? The man on the street is not interested in whether at the velocity of light time slows down either. So what? What is your point? That lay-people are not interested in academic philosophy discussions? Who doesn't know that?

ughaibu

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 03:31 pm
@prothero,
prothero;157130 wrote:
all events have causes, yes.
There is no notion of cause in fundamental physics, and there is no satisfactory notion of cause in philosophy, so, statements such as "all events have causes" require explication of terms as intended. Under the notion of cause that Kennethamy has recently been defending, it is definitely false that all events have causes.

---------- Post added 04-28-2010 at 06:34 AM ----------

Fil. Albuquerque;157230 wrote:
Change in the world is probably one of the most difficult ever problems to explain in Philosophy...how does the miracle of change operates ?
I think this question is illegitimate, as I explained in my first post on this thread.

---------- Post added 04-28-2010 at 06:37 AM ----------

kennethamy;157231 wrote:
That lay-people are not interested in academic philosophy discussions? Who doesn't know that?
You, apparently, and Pyrrho, appealing to a general usage that isn't what either philosophers or physicists are talking about when they write about determinism. The Stanford Encyclopedia article is written by a lone deviant?!? Hilarious! and outrageously arrogant.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 05:34 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;157247 wrote:

You, apparently, and Pyrrho, appealing to a general usage that isn't what either philosophers or physicists are talking about when they write about determinism. The Stanford Encyclopedia article is written by a lone deviant?!? Hilarious! and outrageously arrogant.

But there is a standard philosophical use of the term, "Determinism" isn't there? And it clearly involves causation. You may think that use is mistaken, or perverse, or what you like, but it is the standard philosophical use. That is just a fact.

Like Humpty-Dumpty, you may believe that a term means just what you want it to mean, and if it means something else, you will pay it extra to mean what you think it should mean. That is a peculiar theory of meaning, but it is a free country. Try it .

ughaibu

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 05:46 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;157296 wrote:
But there is a standard philosophical use of the term, "Determinism" isn't there? And it clearly involves causation.
You are mistaken. Determinism is a straight forward concept, the basic claim is that given the state of the world at any time, the state of the world at all other times is exactly specified by the given state in conjunction with unchanging laws of nature. It doesn't take much thought to figure out that this is an irreducibly global thesis, and consequently, there are no elements of a determined world that can be meaningfully isolated as "events", and no portion of the description can be isolated as a "cause". In short, both the notions of event and cause are irreducibly local, and because determinism is irreducibly global, realism about the notions of cause and event are incompatible with realism about determinism. I know this is all above your head, but hopefully there will be enough readers who will benefit, to justify yet another post pointing out the basics, without any sign of progress towards discussing any interesting ideas that determinism might give rise to.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:00 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;157305 wrote:
You are mistaken.

About what? That the standard use of the term is what I said it was? What is your evidence for that? That one writer thinks that "determinism" should not conform to its ordinary philosophical use? I don't understand your objection (if any).

prothero

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 07:43 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;157231 wrote:
That's true. So what? The man on the street is not interested in whether at the velocity of light time slows down either. So what? What is your point? That lay-people are not interested in academic philosophy discussions? Who doesn't know that?
My point is that the real issue, the issue of interest is continuously evaded.
The real issue about determinism being whether there is only one actual real possiblity for the future or many different possiblities.
The real issue about free will being whether there is only one action given a situation that an indiviudal can choose or many different actions and that the future than changes.
And you know what I am trying to say; and what the question is; even if it is difficult to word in such a way that one cannot evade.
The term determinism conjures up notion of Laplaces demon and of the fixed iron block predetermined universe or the omniscient vision of god.
The fact that some definitions (not all) define determinsm as the notion that all events have causes, does not help. As what constitues an "event" and what constitutes a "cause" and whether the same causes always produce the same events remains unanswered. It does not directly address either "free will" or the common notion of determinism as a predetermined course of events.

---------- Post added 04-27-2010 at 06:47 PM ----------

ughaibu;157305 wrote:
You are mistaken. Determinism is a straight forward concept, the basic claim is that given the state of the world at any time, the state of the world at all other times is exactly specified by the given state in conjunction with unchanging laws of nature. It doesn't take much thought to figure out that this is an irreducibly global thesis, and consequently, there are no elements of a determined world that can be meaningfully isolated as "events", and no portion of the description can be isolated as a "cause". In short, both the notions of event and cause are irreducibly local, and because determinism is irreducibly global, realism about the notions of cause and event are incompatible with realism about determinism. I know this is all above your head, but hopefully there will be enough readers who will benefit, to justify yet another post pointing out the basics, without any sign of progress towards discussing any interesting ideas that determinism might give rise to.
I agree with this and many philosphers of the modern age do also.

The defining of determinsm as the notion that all events have causes is practically useless in addressing the issues around events, causes, free will and even the classical notion of determinism as a predetermination of the past, current and future state of the world.

prothero

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 10:25 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,

First off, people are using the term "determinism" is several ways in this thread but mainly two themes emerge.

One- determinism as the notion that all events have causes. A very loose definition and one that leaves fundamental questions about what events and causes are and how they relate to the future state of the world unanswered.

Two- determinism in the classical sense of Laplace's demon, or Jame's iron block universe, or divine omniscience where yes events not only have causes, but the same causes invariably produce the same events and the future state of the world is fixed (one possible future). Your notion I think; but I hate to guess at what people are thinking, I prefer they tell me straight out.

These two groups just keep arguing about what determinism "means" to philosophers and shed very little light on the real issues about causes, events and the future possible states of the world.

I think the notion that the future is fixed (one possibility) is entirely rational and defensible and certainly was the dominant notion derived from Newtonian classical mechanics and the machine like view of the universe it engendered. I also think it is fundamentally wrong. The universe is highly ordered and structured but there are also degrees of freedom in the world. A little freedom versus no freedom is all the difference in our world and in the future. In a world with no order, no structure, no predictability there could be no possible use or meaning to the world "freedom" and little use for it either. On the other hand in a world with no freedom there could be no true novelty, creativity, or meaning to wills, hopes, desires.

[QUOTE=Fil. Albuquerque7230;15] Change in the world is probably one of the most difficult ever problems to explain in Philosophy...how does the miracle of change operates ? What is changing and moving from point A to point B ? How can it be possible ? [/QUOTE] Well here, I am clearly in the philosophical minority. My point of view is that (change, process, evolution) is fundamental reality and that the traditional notion of (being, essence, existence) is secondary reality not primary reality. I am in the process philosophy camp, the dominant exponent of which is A.N. Whitehead.

[QUOTE=Fil. Albuquerque7230;15] it seems that they have a purpose...and purpose implies future certainty [/QUOTE] Although this is a rational position and not in direct conflict with scientific theory or known facts, I do not agree with it. I think the purpose of the system is not to arrive at some predetermined state. The purpose of the system in my view is creativity, novelty, the emergence of new properties. If you think the system has a purpose I would say it is creativity.
If you ask what is primary reality? I would say change or process. If you ask what objects are? I would say they are the objective or "material aspect" of events.
Reality is a series of events, of moments or droplets of experience. There is a minute, but significant degree of unpredictability (freedom) inherent in every event and this unpredictability ripples through the future as novelty and creativity, new possibilities becoming actualities.

We see this "freedom" as unpredictable random indeterminism (stochastic probability) in quantum events. We see and experience (although we do not yet have an explanation for it) this freedom as deliberation and will in human behavior.

In truth we do not know if determinism in the sense of a fixed future is true or not. There is simply insufficient evidence. One can extrapolate from billiard balls to the complexity of the human mind but it is a poor analogy at best and mere metaphysical or philosophical speculation. Although the notion of a fixed future is rational, and not unscientific, it is contrary to our intuitions, to our experience, to what we must assume in day to day deliberation and decision making, and it lacks inspiration. It also plays havoc with our social systems and any notion of moral responsibility for our actions. It may be true. It is certainly not proven or necessarily true. It should only be adopted in the face of overwhelming evidence which is currently lacking.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 11:26 pm
@prothero,
prothero;157356 wrote:
My point is that the real issue, the issue of interest is continuously evaded.
The real issue about determinism being whether there is only one actual real possiblity for the future or many different possiblities.
The real issue about free will being whether there is only one action given a situation that an indiviudal can choose or many different actions and that the future than changes.

Well, of course.

1. Necessarily, if you do A, then you do A (and not something else B).

But that doesn't mean that,

2. If you do A, then you necessarily do A (and not something else, B).

1 is true (and as you might say, trivially true, because it is a tautology).
But 2. is false (and, of course, not a tautology).

You seem to be confusing 1 with 2, and think that because 1 is true, that 2 is true.

Determinism, of course, implies 1, since tautologies are implied by every statement. But Determinism does not imply 2. Since, if Determinism is true, and 2 is false, that would be (logically) impossible, for a truth cannot imply a falsity.

"Logic is logic, that's all I can say". Oliver Wendell Holmes. The One-Horse Shay.

prothero

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 11:51 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;157400 wrote:
Well, of course.

1. Necessarily, if you do A, then you do A (and not something else B).
But that doesn't mean that,
2. If you do A, then you necessarily do A (and not something else, B).

1 is true (and as you might say, trivially true, because it is a tautology).
But 2. is false (and, of course, not a tautology).

You seem to be confusing 1 with 2, and think that because 1 is true, that 2 is true.

Determinism, of course, implies 1, since tautologies are implied by every statement. But Determinism does not imply 2. Since, if Determinism is true, and 2 is false, that would be (logically) impossible, for a truth cannot imply a falsity.

"Logic is logic, that's all I can say". Oliver Wendell Holmes. The One-Horse Shay.
No I understand the difference quite clearly. I am just saying people should clearly indicate if determinism as they are using the term implies that the future is fixed in all degrees or open in some degrees and not use confusing language to indicate their position.

Clearly if all determinism means is that events have causes I accept that.

Clearly though "determinism" has also been used (even though you would say incorrectly and improperly so) to mean that the future is fixed in all its particulars. I do not accept that. Unfortunately it is this latter meaning that is the more common notion; at least among as you would say (non philosophers) and confusing the two meanings or intentions is causing much miscommunication and misunderstanding.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 12:12 am
@prothero,
prothero;157409 wrote:
No I understand the difference quite clearly. I am just saying people should clearly indicate if determinism as they are using the term implies that the future is fixed in all degrees or open in some degrees and not use confusing language to indicate their position.

Clearly if all determinism means is that events have causes I accept that.

Clearly though "determinism" has also been used (even though you would say incorrectly and improperly so) to mean that the future is fixed in all its particulars. I do not accept that. Unfortunately it is this latter meaning that is the more common notion; at least among as you would say (non philosophers) and confusing the two meanings or intentions is causing much miscommunication and misunderstanding.

But isn't it a philosophical question whether determinism (the view that every event is subsumable under a universal law of nature) implies "fixity" or not? Should we simply decide it by distinguishing two different uses of the term, "determinism"? That seem to me the simple way out, but the lazy-man's way, who is too lazy to philosophize about it. It reminds me of something Bertrand Russell remarked on another issue: "It has all the advantages of theft over honest labor".

prothero

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 07:53 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;157416 wrote:
But isn't it a philosophical question whether determinism (the view that every event is subsumable under a universal law of nature) implies "fixity" or not? Should we simply decide it by distinguishing two different uses of the term, "determinism"? That seem to me the simple way out, but the lazy-man's way, who is too lazy to philosophize about it. It reminds me of something Bertrand Russell remarked on another issue: "It has all the advantages of theft over honest labor".
Well for me it seems more like choosing semantics over philosophy. Arguing about the proper of preferred meaning of words as opposed to the concepts in question. The concept in question is the fixity of the future when it comes to "free will" not the meaning of determinism. I do not see how arguing about which meaning of determinism is to be preferred helps clarify the issue at hand.

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 08:10 am
@prothero,
prothero;157515 wrote:
Well for me it seems more like choosing semantics over philosophy. Arguing about the proper of preferred meaning of words as opposed to the concepts in question. The concept in question is the fixity of the future when it comes to "free will" not the meaning of determinism. I do not see how arguing about which meaning of determinism is to be preferred helps clarify the issue at hand.

Suppose the future is "fixed". That would not entail that one does not do what one wants, as what one wants may be part of what it is that brings about the future states that are fixed. So we then may ask, what, precisely, is "free will"? If it is simply doing as one wishes, then there is no incompatibility with that and a "fixed" future.

The original issue of the thread regarding "free will" and morality is really a very complex question, as there needs to be a clear explanation of what is meant by "libertarian free will", as well as a clear explanation for what morality is and what is required for it and why it is required. It was asserted in the opening post that "without libertarian free will, the concept of moral responsibility is rendered incoherent." But unfortunately, none of the important terms were explained, nor was there any explanation for the supposed connection between "libertarian free will" and "moral responsibility". Given that none of this has been satisfactorily explained so far, I rather doubt that anyone is going to bother explaining these things now.

The fact that these things need to be explained should be evident from the fact that the claim is not one about which philosophers agree, as many philosophers are compatibilists. Of course, even if they did agree, that would not mean that the claim did not need to be explained, but it should be obvious that, given the disagreements about the topic, that it simply will not do to assert such a thing without explanation.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 08:36 am
@prothero,
prothero;157515 wrote:

But the question is not about what the "preferred meaning" of "determinism" is (whatever that means). It is about whether the view that every event is subsumable under some law of nature implies that people cannot do otherwise than what they actually do. That is not "semantics" (or a trivial matter of language; should we call what is an elevator in the United States a "lift" as they do in Britain?) It is a philosophical matter.

prothero

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 05:10 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;157536 wrote:
But the question is not about what the "preferred meaning" of "determinism" is (whatever that means). It is about whether the view that every event is subsumable under some law of nature implies that people cannot do otherwise than what they actually do. That is not "semantics" (or a trivial matter of language; should we call what is an elevator in the United States a "lift" as they do in Britain?) It is a philosophical matter.
Well yes, that is closer to the real issue. Yet, despite multiple posts by you, I can still not determine your position on these issues.

Is the future fixed (only one possiblity) or open (multiple possiblities)?
and
Can an individual do or have done otherwise?

My position pretty clearly is that the future is open and an individual can do otherwise, which makes me a target but at least there is some clarity about my inclinations. What about yours?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 05:19 pm
@prothero,
prothero;157674 wrote:
Well yes, that is closer to the real issue. Yet, despite multiple posts by you, I can still not determine your position on these issues.

Is the future fixed (only one possiblity) or open (multiple possiblities)?
and
Can an individual do or have done otherwise?

My position pretty clearly is that the future is open and an individual can do otherwise, which makes me a target but at least there is some clarity about my inclinations. What about yours?

Yes. I am a compatibilist (as all sensible people are) so I think that people can sometimes do otherwise than they did. I thought I had made that quite clear from the onset, but I am happy to do that now for you. But both compatibilists and incompatibilists hold that people can (sometimes) do otherwise than they did. So I am not at all clear why you believe that we can do otherwise. And, as always in philosophy, the why is much more important than the that. The argument is what is interesting, not the conclusion which is, after all, something we all know is true. How many on this forum really believe that we cannot do otherwise? I don't know of any; do you?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 12:21:31