Parallel universes...my experience.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Parallel universes...my experience.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 12:44 am
Hello everyone
Iv read some of the threads regarding cosmology, alternate realities etc but i would like to post a new thread regarding my personal experience..
I must first warn that this does include drug use...but I feel that i must include the details for you all to understand what happened.

ok a few days ago I went camping...to a bush doof (an outdoor music event that generally lasts for 2-3 days and the most common type of music played is psytrance).
On the first night I took LSD (a psychadellic drug that causes you to 'trip' for approximately 12hours)..
anyway...during my lsd trip i had some amazing experiences...your mind is taken to extreme levels of consciousness.
I was there with my boyfriend...we were in our tent. Previous to that we had been on the dance floor, we decided to call it a night and head back to our camp site...
whilst in our tent my boyfriend and i were kissing...
and for a split moment I had what I am going to describe as somewhat of an out of body experience...
I had become another person, a girl, who I had seen dancing back at the dancefloor previous to comming back to our tent..I was in her body.
I then blinked my eyes and had returned back to my normal self..

This vision caused me to think...
Previous to this i had never even considered the possibilty of alternate realities, or parrallel universes.
But this experience got me thinking...

A few months ago my boyfriend and I were close to ending our relationship...
Now i think...could my experience had been of 'what would have been', had we broken up?
Are there alternate realities, where the decision we didnt make in THIS universe, play out in others?

I've not particularly developed any particular opinion, or belief on what I saw, or thought afterwards...
I thought it was incredible, that the vision i had was so vivid and real!

I'd like to hear your opinions...!

Again, i understand some may have prejudices on drug use...and thats is understandable.
But some great philosopher and highly respected people have taken psychadellics, particularly LSD...

thanks.

Arjuna

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:15 am
@XSugarplum,
Thanks for sharing that!

My rule for my mind is that whatever I experience stands. There is no criteria for invalidating my memory of events. My interpretations of what I remember happening may change... but it's not allowed to say that the memory itself is a "lie." In other words, you experienced what you experienced and the memory becomes part of you. And like the events in a dream or a work of fiction, you may see the memory as a message.. an encryption... I've experienced a certain memory coming back over and over through my life... each time appearing as a different note in the symphony of my mind.

One time I was in a kind of revery... I experienced the sensation of being on a swing... some other person was near by... it was a summer evening... the experience happened in a kind of internal darkness but had such a vivid character of reality that it shocked me back to my body and I opened my eyes on the room as if coming back to it from a vacation.. I went to bed, but couldn't sleep because I could hear music. I got up and stomped through the house looking for a radio or TV that had been left on... couldn't find it. Oh! I thought.. it must be in the basement. So I went and opened the door to the basement and reflexively reeled back because as soon as I opened the door a bat flew straight up the stairs toward me. There actually was a bat in the basement. The music was coming from a neighbor's party. I wasn't on drugs... it's just that my rational self rides on a sea of irrationality in which there is no significant distinction between what's mechanical, magical, mundane... mysterious. My irrational self allows me to see more than I would be able to if the lense of rationality was there filtering everything and tossing away the strangeness to the bit bucket.

ValueRanger

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:02 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;94770 wrote:
irrational self allows me to see more than I would be able to if the lense of rationality was there filtering everything and tossing away the strangeness to the bit bucket.

Wow, you sure do know how to make powerful statements.

The lens of the irrational~rational range, filtering more or less valuable data (bits), into the Form (bucket) of 'you'.

Fantastic!

Are you familiar with Wittgenstein's 'movie life'? Or, in more sequitur to the Original Post, how bits of stray (read: irrational) data are available to order (read: rational) into valuable Form?

Arjuna

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 04:51 pm
@ValueRanger,
ValueRanger;94788 wrote:
Are you familiar with Wittgenstein's 'movie life'? Or, in more sequitur to the Original Post, how bits of stray (read: irrational) data are available to order (read: rational) into valuable Form?

Thanks! No I'm not up to speed on that. More on that?

Krumple

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:06 pm
@XSugarplum,
I've had very similar experiences sugarplum but I can't help but ask if it is just all our imagination. Let's face it, LSD has some very powerful sensory effects. So many things change when you are frying. The sound of music changes, even if it was a song you have heard a thousand times, it changes. The visuals seeing movement where there is none usually and seeing things that are normally moving stop. Missing information and noticing your brain trying to fill in the gaps.

I was so lost one time, I got lost in my own house. To most that would sound ridiculous or impossible but not when you are using LSD. Nothing is impossible. I've had conversations with books, where the responses would appear on the page in sentences. Ive seen commercials on tv that seem to last for an hour when in fact they were only a minute and a half long. There is a lot more but to prevent myself from sounding too crazy I won't mention them this time.

For me LSD is just imagination on overload. But it is strengthened when everything else you experience is in total disarray. Those whom have never done it wouldn't understand it.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the memory of being on the dance floor was on your mind and your state was accessing those memories bringing them into a vivid recollection making you seem as if you were really there. Sort of like a waking day dream but when you are high it is far more vivid than dreaming.

XSugarplum

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 03:28 am
@XSugarplum,
I've asked the same thing Krumple...I think it would be quite easy to explain what i saw as a mixture of memory recollection and dream like activity by my brain. But I suppose that darned question that everyone likes to ask is 'Why?'
From my various experiences with LSD I have often asked why we see the things we do...is it just purely imagination? Or do psychadelic drugs open our mind to the truth?
This new interpretation of reality that we see when we are tripping on psychadellics all seems just way too complex for our 'Minds' to just 'imagine'...
I have a link to a video that you might be interested to watch...its called Manifesting The Mind...
Heres a preview link on Youtube for you if you like...
YouTube - Manifesting the Mind DVD Sneak Preview

Shlomo

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 01:07 pm
@XSugarplum,
One universe is enough to bring about that question.

When I look at a flower, there are two parallel realities:
1) the flower;
2) the image of the flower in my mind.

No mystery, right? Now if the flower disappears but the image remains, does it mean there is a "parallel" flower?

Two parallel realities is the most common mode of our lives. Sometimes our spirit takes a leave from the body it is in charge of, as it happens in dreams, and has some adventures.

Spirit is not less real than matter. We should be absorbed more seriously with the question where our spirit shall go after the body is gone, rather than playing useless tricks with it.

xris

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 01:27 pm
@Shlomo,
Shlomo;94923 wrote:
One universe is enough to bring about that question.

When I look at a flower, there are two parallel realities:
1) the flower;
2) the image of the flower in my mind.

No mystery, right? Now if the flower disappears but the image remains, does it mean there is a "parallel" flower?

Two parallel realities is the most common mode of our lives. Sometimes our spirit takes a leave from the body it is in charge of, as it happens in dreams, and has some adventures.

Spirit is not less real than matter. We should be absorbed more seriously with the question where our spirit shall go after the body is gone, rather than playing useless tricks with it.
thats a bit harsh for someone who believes in the immortal soul. Its not my choice of transport but it is relevant to those who choose to use it. I could say taking your faith in a malevolent god is not the vehicle for a clear understanding of reality.

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 06:28 pm
@XSugarplum,
XSugarplum;94877 wrote:

From my various experiences with LSD I have often asked why we see the things we do...is it just purely imagination? Or do psychadelic drugs open our mind to the truth?

The truth of what?

XSugarplum

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 06:59 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;95915 wrote:
The truth of what?

The truth to what we like to call 'reality', really is.

TickTockMan

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 02:18 pm
@XSugarplum,
XSugarplum;96108 wrote:
The truth to what we like to call 'reality', really is.

Do you think some secret as to what "reality really is" is being kept from us for some reason?

Shlomo

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 12:44 am
@XSugarplum,
XSugarplum;94723 wrote:
Are there alternate realities, where the decision we didnt make in THIS universe, play out in others?

If those alternate realities are just decisions/people reshuffled, what would be the point of their existence?

TickTockMan

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 09:43 am
@Shlomo,
Shlomo;98036 wrote:
If those alternate realities are just decisions/people reshuffled, what would be the point of their existence?

What, in your view, is the point of this existence?

Shlomo

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2009 01:42 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;98775 wrote:
What, in your view, is the point of this existence?

In my view, this existence is a trial version of the future better world. The point of it is the "natural" selection of souls eligible for the next level.

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 11:42 am
@Shlomo,
Shlomo;98833 wrote:
In my view, this existence is a trial version of the future better world. The point of it is the "natural" selection of souls eligible for the next level.

What, in your view, are the criteria for eligibility?

Shlomo

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 01:50 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;99029 wrote:
What, in your view, are the criteria for eligibility?

As in a better world people ought to enjoy greater freedom, then it seems necessary that they be driven by love and wisdom. Otherwise freedom would be destructive.

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 04:26 pm
@Shlomo,
Shlomo;99066 wrote:
As in a better world people ought to enjoy greater freedom, then it seems necessary that they be driven by love and wisdom. Otherwise freedom would be destructive.

So what happens to the people whose souls aren't good enough to get to the future better world?

Shlomo

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 12:29 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;99085 wrote:
So what happens to the people whose souls aren't good enough to get to the future better world?

Justice according to their responsibility for 'being not good enough'

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 12:16 pm
@Shlomo,
Shlomo;99157 wrote:
Justice according to their responsibility for 'being not good enough'

Will you expand on this please?

It sounds like you are saying if someone can't help (they are, for whatever reason, not responsible) being the way they are, then they will be judged less harshly than someone who out of free will behaves badly.

Is that what you are saying?

Shlomo

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 12:43 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;99281 wrote:
Will you expand on this please?

It sounds like you are saying if someone can't help (they are, for whatever reason, not responsible) being the way they are, then they will be judged less harshly than someone who out of free will behaves badly.

Is that what you are saying?

I am not the judge, but I believe perfect justice exists (as Socrates did). I basically accept your interpretation - my understanding of justice is taking into account everything and handling every individual case personally. However, I find it more fruitful to utilize the remaining time for becoming better, not for collecting useless justifications.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Parallel universes...my experience.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 05:54:55