Sociology in a totalitarian state

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Sociology in a totalitarian state

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 01:20 pm
I was wondering if any members know of any good books, articles, or papers (preferably not too technical) on the effects of totalitarianism on societies. I'm not interested so much in the effects totalitarianism has on sociology as a science/discipline, but on the society itself. I'm also interested in the evolution of totalitarian states.

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 05:30 pm
@chad3006,
I honestly have no idea, since many totalitarian states silence writers in their own countries. If it is not favorable to the powers that be, they will do away with it. You could always read some Chomsky since he often dealt with totalitarian powers from an outside perspective, and how so called democracies like the U.S. influenced these powers.

chad3006

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 08:07 am
@Theaetetus,
Thanks, I knew it might be difficult to find such a thing, but hoped maybe something might have come out of the former Soviet Union perhaps. I've read Chomsky pretty extensively already, as well as several books on the Nazi's rise to power. Propaganda is certainly a common presence in these regimes, but I wanted to know what long term effects propaganda (and other things) might have on a society.

Grimlock

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 08:33 am
@chad3006,
The Unbearable Lightness of Being is worth a read.

If you're interested in films, try The Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen). Both of these recommendations are works of fiction, and both are very personal stories, but then again, what isn't?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » Sociology in a totalitarian state
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:53:39