Would we want to live forever?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

NecromanticSin

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 07:33 pm
@manored,
manored;117950 wrote:

I think we would never get tired of life, there would always be more things to do. For example my favorite author, Douglas Adams, created a character that became immortal through an accident. He eventually got bored and decided to go out on a quest to insult ever living being than ever existed or would exist (he had acess to a time machine). Is it something to do? Yes. Can it be accomplished? No. So that guy wouldnt ever get tired of life. =)

We could find equally ridiculous and time-consuming things to do. We could, for instance, create enormous armies of robots and play war against each other (one of my favorite ideas). Because we would all be immortal and able to learn from the competition against the others, we could do that for the eternity.

well, i would like to create enormous armies of robots to play war aganist each other,but does anyone have to die? hahah... If it was like with food coloring,i might feel better about the idea.
Maybe just my own lonely boring life leds me to believe that if i was on this earth forever,besides the over population,and lack of things we'll need to meet the amount of people growing on this earth,i'd be bored. i'm always bored! So maybe it's me.
and if living forever meant,FOREVER.. at what age does forever start or do we just keep getting older,beacuse i don't know if you see old people,but i'd rather not look like that FOREVER.

manored

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 11:03 am
@NecromanticSin,
NecromanticSin;117965 wrote:
well, i would like to create enormous armies of robots to play war aganist each other,but does anyone have to die? hahah... If it was like with food coloring,i might feel better about the idea.
Maybe just my own lonely boring life leds me to believe that if i was on this earth forever,besides the over population,and lack of things we'll need to meet the amount of people growing on this earth,i'd be bored. i'm always bored! So maybe it's me.
and if living forever meant,FOREVER.. at what age does forever start or do we just keep getting older,beacuse i don't know if you see old people,but i'd rather not look like that FOREVER.
Well it really depends of the nature of this immortality, we would obviously need super-human powers to be immortal, since humans are mortal. Maybe immortality would come through the prevention of aging?

Dubs

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 10:11 pm
@glasstrees,
Maybe we do live forever? Maybe our consciousness trandsends our physical shell and experiences life on another level for ever. Not in a religious way AT ALL, but spiritual maybe.

Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 12:06 am
@Hi My Name Is,
Hi! My Name Is:;117276 wrote:
I sadly disagree with you on your opinion. Say, if you really did turn insane. Would you really want to suffer forever inside the vast abyss of your own mind? Not being able to end the pain quickly? Not being able to sleep at night because of your raging brain... and not being able to stop it. Those who fear death do not realize what exactly death is. A numbing of the mind, an anesthetic. I am not suggesting you become suicidal, heavens no. But living forever disrupts the natural order of things and unbalances the way of Earth.

Ignorance is bliss. But stupidity is not. Sadly, they are the same thing.

---------- Post added 01-05-2010 at 10:44 AM ----------

Ignorance is bliss.

Wake up to reality.

:brickwall:

Using words like "Stupidity is not good manners and Will get you into trouble with the authorities who run this great forum, tone down your rhetoric

gustav phil

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 09:52 am
@glasstrees,
All bodies die. What we call life is an extension in one direction into the visible universe. Everything eventually fades from visibility into its opposite and then returns.

manored

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 12:55 pm
@Dubs,
Dubs;120737 wrote:
Maybe we do live forever? Maybe our consciousness trandsends our physical shell and experiences life on another level for ever. Not in a religious way AT ALL, but spiritual maybe.
Indeed, I believe so, though I think we dont stay in this another level forever, but rather eventually leave it as well, and in this slow progress we continue through the eternity.

Alan McDougall;120746 wrote:
Using words like "Stupidity is not good manners and Will get you into trouble with the authorities who run this great forum, tone down your rhetoric
I suggest you dont let little things like that bother you, he probally didnt even have the intention.

gustav;120799 wrote:
All bodies die. What we call life is an extension in one direction into the visible universe. Everything eventually fades from visibility into its opposite and then returns.
I didnt quite understand this, But I think you means lives are moments where we are connected to a reality and deads are then we arent.

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 02:26 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Fine, it seems like total hell in the universe, and rather exhausting for my soul.

HexHammer

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 03:04 pm
@glasstrees,
It certainly depends on the conditions of how to live forever.

If we live forever like rincgled ol' farts, not many of those I know, are interested, but as ever youthful, all are incl myself.

If we suffer a terrible accident, and live with only a functionally head and dead body, none I know are interested and wants the right to be terminated.

HexHammer

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:36 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
I have a similar but unexplainable memory. It is about someone putting a large bird, maybe a turkey fully feathered into a large black three legged pot, full of boiling water over an open fire in a camp of some kind. It was not a movie it was a real event a real concrete memory

My parents dont have any recollection of an event like this but a great aunt told this was the practice when she was a girl, where her granny would put the bird into a pot of boiling water to loosen the feathers to make them easier to pluck

The strange thing is I remember actually seeing this happen long after this practice died out and my mother never used a three legged black pot on an open fire

Could this have been a memory of a past life happening?
Sounds more like your usual skitzophrenic ramblings.

manored

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:17 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

Alan McDougall wrote:
I have a similar but unexplainable memory. It is about someone putting a large bird, maybe a turkey fully feathered into a large black three legged pot, full of boiling water over an open fire in a camp of some kind. It was not a movie it was a real event a real concrete memory

My parents dont have any recollection of an event like this but a great aunt told this was the practice when she was a girl, where her granny would put the bird into a pot of boiling water to loosen the feathers to make them easier to pluck

The strange thing is I remember actually seeing this happen long after this practice died out and my mother never used a three legged black pot on an open fire

Could this have been a memory of a past life happening?
Sounds more like your usual skitzophrenic ramblings.
I think I have already mentioned this on this thread, but it might have been a dream. Then I was a kid I had some dreams that I, much later, mistook for real events. Our memory gets distorted over time.

HexHammer

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 04:28 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:
I think I have already mentioned this on this thread, but it might have been a dream. Then I was a kid I had some dreams that I, much later, mistook for real events. Our memory gets distorted over time.
Indeed have I too mistaken dreams for real life memories.

hue-man

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 07:49 pm
@glasstrees,
Living forever would not solve the problem of the human condition. Human beings are the only animals we know of who are burdened by our awareness of temporal time. Therefore, epic boredom would be the result of human immortality.

manored

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 01:43 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:

Fine, it seems like total hell in the universe, and rather exhausting for my soul.
What is it about the universe that you find so terrible?

hue-man wrote:

Living forever would not solve the problem of the human condition. Human beings are the only animals we know of who are burdened by our awareness of temporal time. Therefore, epic boredom would be the result of human immortality.
I believe in immortality (through the mind) and a lot of people think that those who believe in immortality are just afraid of facing the idea of non-existance. But then you think about it, its possible to see non-existance as better than a continued or eternal existance. Thats why people, even those who do not believe in afterlife, suicide.

I dont think living forever as humans would be boring. If our minds didnt grow unlimitely but rather keept within human constraints, then we would just engage in a circle of eternal fun, as we wouldnt ever remember everything we already did. If our minds did grew, then we would discover new ways of having fun.

Krumple

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 02:11 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:
I dont think living forever as humans would be boring. If our minds didnt grow unlimitely but rather keept within human constraints, then we would just engage in a circle of eternal fun, as we wouldnt ever remember everything we already did. If our minds did grew, then we would discover new ways of having fun.

I don't want to beat you up over what you say here but it is a little silly.

For one thing, if you didn't remember what you did previously, you could then do the same thing over and over again. You know the ground hog day without memory of repeating the same day over and over. Now I suppose if you were not aware that you were reliving the same day over and over, you might not think it was hell, but to have knowledge of it, it definitely would be hell. The problem becomes having no memory you become a sort of mindless fool. If you talk about removing memory, then you wouldn't remember your past, people, even memories themselves. All these things that happened to you would be lost. They make who you are, your personality so removing memory would more than likely delete who you are.

You can't just be selective and say, well you'll keep certain memories and others would not be intact. That is just absurd. You mean you'll remember everyone within your past, but you won't remember the past? Or you will have memories of the past, but you won't remember any new past.

The only way I could see heaven actually working is if you didn't do or experience anything at all period. You didn't see anyone, you didn't do anything or say anything or be anything. The only thing that happens is your mind is shoved into a constant state of bliss turned on full and you are left in that state for ever. You don't move, nothing changes, you don't change. That is the only way it could work, but if that is how it would work, I wouldn't want it.

HexHammer

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 12:49 am
@Krumple,
Memory isn't just located in a tiny area in the brain. One has to lose vast amount of brain tissue in order to lose all memory.

stevecook172001

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 01:47 am
@glasstrees,
dwixi wrote:

Would we as humans want to live forever? Even if we made the world perfect? Even if we got to the state of life being one giant orgasm of joy and love.

Personally I dont think so.

This would get boreing. And we would create games like this. Like life. With not quite perfectness. But a playing feild for beauty. And we would need death to kill our ego and start again. This way we will never get bored. This way there would be a reason for something to exist rather than nothing existing atall.

Are there any philosophers that have a similar view to this? basicly Buddhism but the goal not being to transition the ego but it having a purpose. Limiting us so we don't get bored. And always see beauty.

I would very much welcome the choice of being able to live forever, with the option of ending my existence when I'd had enough of it.

manored

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 08:00 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

manored wrote:

I don't want to beat you up over what you say here but it is a little silly.

For one thing, if you didn't remember what you did previously, you could then do the same thing over and over again. You know the ground hog day without memory of repeating the same day over and over. Now I suppose if you were not aware that you were reliving the same day over and over, you might not think it was hell, but to have knowledge of it, it definitely would be hell. The problem becomes having no memory you become a sort of mindless fool. If you talk about removing memory, then you wouldn't remember your past, people, even memories themselves. All these things that happened to you would be lost. They make who you are, your personality so removing memory would more than likely delete who you are.

You can't just be selective and say, well you'll keep certain memories and others would not be intact. That is just absurd. You mean you'll remember everyone within your past, but you won't remember the past? Or you will have memories of the past, but you won't remember any new past.

The only way I could see heaven actually working is if you didn't do or experience anything at all period. You didn't see anyone, you didn't do anything or say anything or be anything. The only thing that happens is your mind is shoved into a constant state of bliss turned on full and you are left in that state for ever. You don't move, nothing changes, you don't change. That is the only way it could work, but if that is how it would work, I wouldn't want it.
I did not say that is what I want, only that it is what will happen if we have limited memories and unlimited lives.

Then its about living forever, people's greater fear seens to be getting bored without any ways out, but I dont think that would ever happen.

William

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 02:00 am
@stevecook172001,
stevecook172001 wrote:

dwixi wrote:

Would we as humans want to live forever? Even if we made the world perfect? Even if we got to the state of life being one giant orgasm of joy and love.

This would get boreing. And we would create games like this. Like life. With not quite perfectness. But a playing feild for beauty. And we would need death to kill our ego and start again. This way we will never get bored. This way there would be a reason for something to exist rather than nothing existing atall.

Are there any philosophers that have a similar view to this? basicly Buddhism but the goal not being to transition the ego but it having a purpose. Limiting us so we don't get bored. And always see beauty.

I would very much welcome the choice of being able to live forever, with the option of ending my existence when I'd had enough of it.

How could you possibly know when you are done? If you did opt that choice, that would be a bit selfish, would it not!? Without others there would be no life. When you know life is a giving thing, then you would never consider taking yours out of it. It you did not know that then it could be that you want to just take what you have and leave. Hmmm?

You see Steve when one is possessive they become possessed and when they do leave they are relieved of that excess baggage they have been toting around that they think is of value and return again naked in the world until they eventually understand what is truly valuable. I wouldn't be in a hurry to learn that Steve, it will come when you are ready to understand it.

Imagine the eyes of a child as they seemingly peer into yours as if to say "Please be careful of me. Please watch over me and protect me, THIS TIME and I promise I will do the same for you, NEXT TIME".

Steve when one considers another, they never have to consider self.

William

manored

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2010 09:59 am
@William,
A choice can never be a bad thing, or.... can it? =)

stevecook172001

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 12:49 pm
@William,
William wrote:

stevecook172001 wrote:

dwixi wrote:

How could you possibly know when you are done? If you did opt that choice, that would be a bit selfish, would it not!? Without others there would be no life. When you know life is a giving thing, then you would never consider taking yours out of it. It you did not know that then it could be that you want to just take what you have and leave. Hmmm?

You see Steve when one is possessive they become possessed and when they do leave they are relieved of that excess baggage they have been toting around that they think is of value and return again naked in the world until they eventually understand what is truly valuable. I wouldn't be in a hurry to learn that Steve, it will come when you are ready to understand it.

Imagine the eyes of a child as they seemingly peer into yours as if to say "Please be careful of me. Please watch over me and protect me, THIS TIME and I promise I will do the same for you, NEXT TIME".

Steve when one considers another, they never have to consider self.

William

All you have done here is post a load of peronal moral ssertions based on your own moral predilictions such that they have no objective measurable, generalisable applicability.

All very nice for you, but I'm not sure what you want me to do with them. They obviously have value for you. They have none for me.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 07:04:31