what qualifies a person as a philosopher?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Abolitionist

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 08:15 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
<daleader> wrote:
So yea what qualifies a person as a philosopher?:confused:Surprised:rolleyes::p

you have to love objective reality more than your own sanity 8P

MuseEvolution

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 10:10 am
@ltdaleadergt,
He who asks, "Am I a philosopher," is a philosopher.

MJA

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 11:53 am
@ratta,
"Although I am a typical loner in my daily life, my awareness of belonging to the invisible community of those who strive for truth, beauty, and justice has prevented me from feelings of isolation."

"Of all the communities available to us, there is not one I would want to devote myself to except for the society of the true seekers, which has very few living members at any one time." Albert Einstein

Truth beauty and justice qualified Einstein to be a philosopher,
And equality qualifies me. They're all One or the same.

=
MJA

BeatsMeWhy

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 10:44 am
@MJA,
If I answer "trying to find what is not working and fix it" I might be describing a plumber, but somehow I think that is a philosopher, no matter what he calls himself.

I think whenever we set out a problem, or guess there might one, or try to fix one, we are being philosophers. By a problem, of course, I mean some configuration of reality around us that is improvable.

A "true" or, well, "full" philosopher would be someone able and keen to address every aspect of his life as a potentially solvable problem, so that eventually he would reach an optimal state with a set of fixed rules to optimally develop, learn and follow the best strategies for him in every moment.

I sometimes wonder whether there is or not a fundamental distinction between technical and moral problems, but I think that, even if we are forced to make that distinction whenever we deal with other people, for moral more or less implies "the consequences of our acts for other people", it is not a fundamental one. Other people are just part of our reality, and the way we deal with them is, ultimately, a technical problem.

awest

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 08:00 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
The Very Minute Someone Else acknowledges you as a Philosopher""

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 11:33:03