why are they getting rid of LPN's?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » why are they getting rid of LPN's?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 12:12 pm
why are they getting rid of LPN's?
With the nursing shortage I don't understand why hospitals are doing away with LPN nurses. I find this frustrating and am sure if the public knew they also would be. Do the hospitals think they are saving money? Mad Can someone enlighten me!

Ginger Snap

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 12:23 pm
Boy, is this an OLD story. Hospitals aren't doing away with LPNs (many still work in them). Some hospitals in my area have started using LPNs again because they can't find enough RNs to replace them, but when the shortage eases (as it inevitably will) they will gradually replace LPNs with RNs again. And trust me, it isn't the hospital that is trying to eliminate them, it's organizations like the ANA and other national nursing organizations (as well as the PhD's who populate the Schools of Nursing at our universities and colleges). These are the organizations that write the national standards by which all healthcare organizations practice. Thus, LPNs are moved out of such places as the ER, ICU, and L&D, because NATIONAL STANDARDS say that RNs must staff these units. And they will tell you that the outcome for the patient is better if they have an RN as their nurse.

Bottom line is that if you are an LPN who wants to guarantee your ability to work WHERE you want, then go back to school and become an RN (better yet, GET YOUR BSN).

mrd1

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 06:11 pm
Sad I agree, it really sucks that they are trying to weed out LPN's again. I was an LVN before I became and RN. I have worked with LVN's that are more knowledgable than RN's at times and vice-versa. I think LVN's play a vital role in the healthcare system and I think that there are plenty of us that will help keep LVN's in the hospital sitting where they belong. I worked surgery the first couple years as an LVN. At the time there were very few RN's that could hold a candle to me in that area. I do agree that schooling is the best thing you can do to further your career. But I do think LVN's/LPN's will always be needed. Sometimes it takes management a little while to figure that out. I'm an ADN RN at the moment and have already seen the need to get my BSN. That is the next thing that I am working on, then my MSN. The great thing about nursing is the flexibility to continue your education while working. Best wishes to you! Smile

nurseparamedic

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 01:22 pm
Getting Rid of LPNs is Nonsense
I am a diploma nurse of 30 years who in the course of my career has had the opportunity to work with some of the finest nurses in the profession.

A good number of them being LPNs in the hospital environment.

The winds constantly blow concerning the issue of the practical nurse and their scope of practice. The state BONs write the absolute and hospitals can add their own specific policy addendum.

As for the LPN in a med-surg or rehab role I have found little difference in what is and is not allowed. If anything, it will be IVP and matters concerning hanging blood. Other than that we all bust our butts together, on equal footing, to deliver the best care we can.

Titles are just that, titles. They do not define the compassion, sincerity nor ability of the individual.

My 2 cents.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » why are they getting rid of LPN's?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 09:32:04