Worker's comp

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Worker's comp

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:14 am
Worker's comp
I injured my shoulder at work about 2 months ago...catching a roll away bed while not leaning on the patient in it, and his fresh surgical abdomen(the nurse on before me did not lock the brakes). I did almost 2 months of physical therapy with only slight improvement. I saw an orthopedic surgeon last week, who wants to scope it...he thinks I tore cartilage (rather than my rotator cuff). I am scheduled for surgery March 23rd.

Here's my problem...my boss has been acting strangely about it, IMO. I filled out an incident report the night it happened, and there was another nurse in the room who witnessed it, and signed the report. I am not sure how to handle my boss, I think he thinks I am not being truthful? This actually makes me mad, since the last two work injuries on our floor were BS (one was a clerk trying to move a bed and hurt her back~shouldn't have been doing that, and the other was a CNA who got a fake nail ripped off in a doorway~our policy states NO FAKE NAILS). One of our nursing supervisors tripped and fell crossing the street coming in and hurt her shoulder as well (no ice, no crooked sidewalk, just tripped) and worker's comp is also covering all of this. I know my situation is legit, and dang...I am so frustrated by the whole thing. How do I deal with my boss? Any suggestions? Sorry for being long winded!

Nurse Gurl 1522

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 03:33 pm
Help
I May Not Have Good Advice And All But My Suggestion To U IS Sit Down With Your Boss And Talk TO Him/Her If She Dose Not Respond Well Then I Dont Know What To Tell You But If She Cant Communacte Well She Is Not A Person The Should Be In That Postion But Thats My Opion Dont Know If Its Ne Help But Oh Well The It Is........................................ Rolling Eyes

P.S Some People Dont Know How To Be A Good Person And Sum Are Experts ON Being Spoil Sport Hehe Luv YA

surfgirl

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 11:57 am
Communication is key, there may be something going on in your bosses life that is effecting his behavior but may not have anything to do with it. Sit down and let them know how you feel!

Ginger Snap

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 02:34 pm
I don't know, but I'm guessing your supervisor is a bit frustrated with the whole workman's comp, light-duty process. Plus, if you are going to be out of work for any period of time after surgery, then he's got a hole to fill in his schedule, and if your unit is like many of the units I've been on, this is a problem.

There may be other issues which you aren't aware of that have nothing to do with your specific case, just the whole administrative side of this problem.

And then again, it could have nothing to do with you or your specific case, unless you've been acting like a "locker room lawyer" on the floor, and talking to everyone you know about the issue. That could create unnecessary tension with the boss, and if you are doing that, then stop it.

My advice to you is: DON'T MAKE ASSUMPTIONS. If you want to know what's going on with your boss, then ask him, not us.

easybreezy

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 05:27 pm
I am not making assumptions. And I do not act like a "locker room lawyer," thank you. I just wanted a little insight, which I got, but I did not expect to be told not to ask a question or for a little insight.

Sorry I asked.

1abCRNA

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:35 pm
Workers Compensation
Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do. I assume you are working light duty. Perhaps your boss's boss is leaning on him for all the injuries in his unit. Also, make sure your workers compensation rep informs you that if they offer you a settlement, at the point in which you take this settlement. They no longer have any obligation for work, medical, or benefits of any kind. You are then out in the cold. Hope you get better though instead of long term effects.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Worker's comp
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:37:02