where to go?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Permanent Nursing
  3. » where to go?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 01:31 pm
where to go?
hello all-

I am considering a career change, I have a BS in a field completely unrelated to the medical field and have been working in this field for about 6 years. Albeit somewhat lucrative, i'm finding it lacks any meaning for me, and I am looking for something that would not bore me to tears (current position) and keep me on my toes. I have been considering a career in nursing, particularly specializing in nursery, mother/baby, lactation consultant, etc. I understand as far as nursing, becoming an RN is the way to go. Before I throw myself into nursing school, I would like to research this some more (to make sure that this is what I really want to do), but I don't know where to go. I would like to find some books or websites on these specialties, but haven't found any. I've signed up to be a volunteer for the local hospital, so at least I can get a 'feel' for the environment. Anyone have any insight for my search?

RNSC

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 02:15 pm
Hmmm, I don't know nuthin' 'bout babies, BUT, if you think you are interested enough, and it seems you might be as you volunteered (Good for you!), then go ahead and check into nursing schools in your geographical area. I changed careers from IT systems integration to nursing.

Here, there is a waiting list of about two years to get a start date. If this is the case where you are, go ahead and apply to get on the waiting list. You might be out a $100 or so if you change your mind, but if in 6 months you decide "This is me!", you'll be that much closer.

Some schools, in some states, have the same curriculum during the first year and a half or so for both LPNs and RNs. For example, when I chose to go back to school to change careers, I decided to go through an associates degree (ADN) program of two years vs the four year BSN. The first three semesters had the same classes for LPNs and RNs. At the completion of the three semesters, LPNs graduated and took the test for licensing. I took the LPN test also and as a licensed LPN I could start work as a nurse and did so around the remaining two semesters of completion for the RN graduation.

Wishing you success!

bsweetpea

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 09:45 am
thanks! good practical info.

RNSC

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 12:57 pm
But wait! There's more...
Find out more about the nursing field in general by visiting

DiscoverNursing.com
NursingSpectrum.com
NurseWeek.com
NursingSociety.org

toreylynn78

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 12:50 am
If you already have a bachelors degree, there are accelerated programs that you can get a BSN in 11 - 18 months. You have to do all of your prereq's first. That's what I did. Did the prereq's at a community college at night while I was still working my old job. Then went to nursing school and got a BSN in 11 months. Totally worth it. It's actually faster that way then even doing an associates program because it's accelerated. I won't kid you though, the accelerated programs are not easy. They are very short and you are expected to learn a lot in a very short period of time. I wasn't sure that I would be prepared when I graduated but I did fine and was not "behind" clinically at all as people had warned me. If you want more info on these programs, let me know.[/code]

singsong

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 02:02 am
good
Good advice

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Permanent Nursing
  3. » where to go?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 11:23:07