I want to be a traveling nurse but don't know where to start

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » I want to be a traveling nurse but don't know where to start

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 10:40 pm
I want to be a traveling nurse but don't know where to start
I am not in travel nursing but it is something I have always wanted to do. I am just starting to research information on all aspect of travel nursing. I just wanted to say that by just reading like 3 posts it has already given me alot of information. It is scary trying to pick what agency to go with and what to expect of your jobs, benefits and pay. If anyone has any good information for me to start with I would greatly appreciate it. Like I said before, I am just looking into traveling, it is something I have always thought I would like to do, and I really dont even know where to start. Here is my situation... I have been working in a Surgical ICU for a little over 2 years, I started as a new grad there. Is this experience enough? I am kind of nervous about it but I think I am ready for the challenge. Any info would be helpful. <3 Sarah

Jess0418

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 05:25 pm
Hi, Sarah! I am a relatively new grad as well, I graduated and started working on '07, and have now been in a specialized ares for 2 years. I am in the same boat as you seem to be: travel nursing is something that I have wanted to do since nursing school, but still have not done it! I have researched and learned a lot about it over the past 2 years, and as I do not have any actual traveling experience yet, I can share with you what I have learned! As far as which agency to go with, you don't really have to choose just one. Apparently, it is OK to apply and work with a few different agencies, and that way you will have more options for assignments. If one agency doesn't necessarily have anything available in the area of the country you want to go, you can check and see what the other agencies may have to offer! That also facilitates grounds for you to bargain and maybe recieve a better offer if you are in demand from more than one recruiter!! When I began my search, I literally googled "questions to ask a travel nursing agency" and asked different agencies the same questions to compare answers and find which ones I thought were the best fit for me! Hope this helps a little bit!

Sarahlt3

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 06:25 am
Thank you Jess for the information. I would have never known that I was able to go with more than one agency! Now that you mention it, that makes alot of sense. I have just started really looking into it. I plan on doing some research the next month or two and then start filling out applications. I will see what happens I guess. If I don't do it now, I never will... Good luck to you as well! Thanks again!

stormyweathers2010

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 10:21 am
I've been an ICU nurse for 10 years. I started traveling 5 years ago and absolutely love it! I'm single with no kids, so traveling has been the greatest thing I've ever done! I'm working with 3 agencies now. They all have different ways of doing things, but all in all they are consistent with getting work for me quickly. You should try Nurses In Partnership. I work with a Recruiter (Tonya) who is super sweet and always keeps me working. I even invited her to my baby shower! Definitely make sure you ask all the right questions. You don't want to find out things at the last minute. For example, make sure their housing accommadates pets! Good Luck!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » I want to be a traveling nurse but don't know where to start
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 10:44:52