available contracts? have they dried up?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » available contracts? have they dried up?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 12:46 am
available contracts? have they dried up?
anyone having trouble finding an assignment lately?? what is going on?anyone hear anything on why all of the sudden there aren't that many contracts out there?

lindabrn

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 09:07 am
Horrible! Haven't worked since the beginning of December. Everywhere I'm submitted the hospitals are sitting on these jobs. Los Angeles has 10 profiles since before Christmas for one job and hasen't made a decision yet. FAstaff said they are down 25% in contracts from last year. I have been talking to my old boss and thinking of going back to my old staff job.

toreylynn78

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 10:34 pm
Im in the pacific northwest and had to take a staff job as well.

nursenikkki

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 03:36 am
My recruiter says no jobs in the country for NICU (which I work)!!! I am working a pediatrics unit at the current time not too far from my home, I am thinking of taking the FT job they have offered me here, just for a steady paycheck!

whoofers

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:11 am
Had to go back to a staff position after being cancelled x 2. Just not willing to chance another cancellation and take the pay cuts for jobs that I really don't want. Will have to ride this depression out and hope that I am not laid off from the staff job.

lindabrn

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:54 am
Thanks all
Hey all to posted to this topic. I thought it was just me who couldn't find a job. And I must agree with "woofers" that the jobs/contracts that are out there are not worth it. I had a recruiter call me yeaterday about a job that is $5/hr less than my the staff job I'm courting and more call for the contract than the staff job.
The recruiter told me I should take the staff job and maybe in the future more opportunites will open up. Im dissappointed. I just left my staff job 6 mths ago with the "I'm going to see the world" I haven't left now Im back.

Bossy1

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 03:29 pm
it seems to be opening up a little now.

ICURN2000

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 05:16 am
Jobs
Not sure what you guys are talking about???

Maybe you are with the wrong agency, I've been working my butt off.

But then, maybe it's the area you are in...are you willing to go anywhere in the country??

macks2661

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 09:38 am
Re: Jobs
ICURN2000 wrote:
Not sure what you guys are talking about???

Maybe you are with the wrong agency, I've been working my butt off.

But then, maybe it's the area you are in...are you willing to go anywhere in the country??

what company do you work for and what part of the country????

joeRN

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 10:23 am
I keep hearing that it's tough to find a travel job on the east coast...which is probably why the people who have them (like me) are working their butts off! I'm lucky that my facility loves me and i've been extending for awhile now in Mass. Hospitals are feeling the economic crisis all over the country...they are not immune!! But there is always something...it just depends on if you're willing to be flexible. If you need a good recommendation, call Jessica at Access Nurses. She's amazing...and best of all, she's honest and dependable. Good luck!

ICURN2000

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 03:00 pm
Work
Macks,

Iwork for Halostaffing.com, I am in Cinci-, OH. but they have contracts all over the country.

Even with the economic problems, they started a NEW bonus program the 1st of January...it is amazing, you can make money on vacation, at your kids soccar game, in bed asleep....you outta check out their site. it is called the EASY MONEY program...tell them Christopher, RN sent you!!

I posted about them under "Best Travel Companies", they are great to work for...

spracr

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 04:33 pm
Dried up positions
We too are having issues finding contracts! We came out to the west coast thinking we would spend a few years up and down the coast. Our contract ends in 2 weeks and the hospital is not renewing any travelers. We are now just going with wherever they can find us a job! We are a travel couple! ICU & ER adn that make is even tougher!

toreylynn78

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 06:14 pm
If you can work in washington, there seem to be jobs in seattle and tacoma. The pay is pretty good in that area as well. Pretty much no jobs for anyone in oregon. I live in Portland and ended up just taking a perm job. Had assignments in here from march 1 of last year till now and my current assignment ends feb 14. There is nothing within 130 miles of me.

joeRN

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 11:19 am
Re: Work
ICURN2000 wrote:
Macks,

Iwork for Halostaffing.com, I am in Cinci-, OH. but they have contracts all over the country.

Even with the economic problems, they started a NEW bonus program the 1st of January...it is amazing, you can make money on vacation, at your kids soccar game, in bed asleep....you outta check out their site. it is called the EASY MONEY program...tell them Christopher, RN sent you!!

I posted about them under "Best Travel Companies", they are great to work for...

This sounds a little far fetched ICURN200. There's no such thing as "easy money." I hope you're not a recruiter trying to sell us something.

ICURN2000

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 01:42 pm
EASY MONEY
Joe,

I take exception to that, if you are going to insult me, or call me a lier, I'll send you my address and prefer you have the intestinal fortitude to come and say it to my face.

In case you had not NOTICED, this is a forum about travel nursing, specifically about jobs being hard to find. That being said IF you would prefer I don't try to help other Travelers,....then I'll leave that to you.

Halostaffing has kept me in BACK-TO-BACK contracts as a Bedside ICU RN for the past 5-6 years. Presently I'm fullfilling my contract at University Hosp. in Cinci-, OH. In the CVICU...want the phone #.

I will also say this about EASY MONEY, before you give me any SHIT go to their website and see how EASY it is...next time you speak, it will be informed consent....and easier to withdraw your Birke's from out-o-you-mouth.

As far as recruiting...who the hell does NOT want a referral bonus??? If you do NOT, please, give MY name to any nurses you are referring to agencies. I guarentee I'll find a use for it.

nursenikkki

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 02:42 pm
Wow, calm down. Just because you find contracts doesn't mean its that easy for all of us! Your an ICU nurse, which means you have Med/Surg skills, as well as great critical care skills. I on the other hand work Peds/NICU/OB. Those contracts are drying up left and right. I can't stand working with elderly (never my thing, no insults meant to those who do, I look up to those nurses) I relate to children, thats just my thing. We do appreciate the post on who you work for, its always nice to get input from others, as we all don't know whats out there with other companies. But for goodness sake, don't take what people you don't know to heart....

lindabrn

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 07:02 pm
Whoa!!
Glad your working ICURN. As for me; I specialize in Perioperative nursing. Those contracts are hard to come by. For every contract there are 50 nurses for that job. I am submitted all over the country EVERYWHERE!! and with a few agencies. All recruiters has said my field is saturated and have given me "pointers" how to stand out from the rest of my collegues vying for the same job. So in light of this economic meltdown I've decided to take a sweet staff job and ride out this bad economy till things hopefully get better. It's better to be working staff than not working at all.

Head Nurse

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 09:46 am
Sorry if you took what I said as an insult ICURN2000...I only said "I hope you're not a recruiter..." I didn't realize you'd get so fired up about it. A lot of times recruiters pose as nurses on forums and you gotta watch out for them. We all have to help each other. Good luck in your travels.

ICURN2000

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 10:25 am
Accept and appreciate the apology,...did not mean to sound so aggressive. Getting labeled a recruiter in these forums makes other RN's discount anything you have to say.

I have been working ICU @ the bedside for 15 years, still do.

yeah, I have friends that work med-surg,...some of them did have to take staff jobs....

kitenostring

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 02:39 pm
dried up
Without a doubt - they've dried up. I post usually with at least 5 companies at a time - and travel both the States and Canada. Dig your trenches. (I post with Trustaff; Readilink; Invictus; Access; MartinFletcher;Solutions and Select).[/quote][/i]

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » available contracts? have they dried up?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 05:59:34