Your travel expertise is needed...

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Your travel expertise is needed...

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 10:15 am
Your travel expertise is needed...
Hi! I'm looking into beginning my travel nursing career! I am a new nurse with a little over a years med/surg experience. I am talking to two different companies and trying to decide which route I want to take. If you could give me one piece of advice what would it be?? What do you wish you knew when you first stated traveling?? Is it acceptable to keep my apartment and still travel across the country?? Is the money really worth it...(I only ask that b/c I am in debt upto my eyeballs from college loans Sad ) You all have such knowledge and experience so any advice you can offer would be appreciated! Thanks!

jhals

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 02:26 pm
new to traveing
hi. if you are in debt up to your eyeballs, take the job that pays the most money. have you looked at california contracts? yes, by all means keep your apartment. that gives you a large tax deduction for away from home residency. some companies only tax you on 10 to 30 dollars of your income and the rest is tax free because you maintain a home in another state. look on line and talk to more companies. go to the one that pays the most.

LibertyRN

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 09:48 pm
Thanks for the adivice...I will look into that. : )

Allyally534

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 03:42 pm
Can I give you some traveller advice from a staff RN?

1)Don't expect to be welcomed warmly. We have to watch you closely.
Many, not the majority, of travellers before you have had personality
defects or they have been addicted to drugs. Remember, these people are
travellers because they are gone before their problems are fully discovered
and staff RNs are more willing to wait out your contract than take on your
problems.

2)Don't whine and moan that you float all the time. You are THE TRAVELLER,
it will always be your turn to float.

3)Do not put your two cents in about old policies, new policies, policy changes.
When you do this, we know it is time to not renew your contract. You are
NOT staff. This tends to happen to travellers who have had a few contracts
at the same place.

4)Do not whine that you don't feel good or are working while sick. You chose to be a traveller and knew you could not miss any work or you had to make it up. If you do take time off for illness, etc., do not approach regular staff to ask if you can work that extra shift or ask regular staff to change their schedule so you can "make up" your sick time. Not our problem, you are a traveller by choice. We will just say to ourselves this is another reason NOT to be a traveller.

5) Do not try to brag about what you make. In the late 90s, travellers did make a bit more. Anybody with 5+ years experience in all likelihod make more than you. We will tell you that's great and think it's good they do not know what we make. When you tell us about hour housing allowance, most of us will think how we own homes and our mortgages accrue equity at 2-3x the mortgage we pay. We will tell you that is great, but be thinking that is not a benefit, you do not have anything to show for it (i.e. home that appreciates).

6)Do not refer to the job your working as "my" position. It isn't.

7)Regular staff may benefit from lighter assignments and special perks.
Do not expect these or feel slighted when others get them. You are THE TRAVELLER.

8) Do not complain about your schedule. You are there to fill in the holes. You are not staff.

9) Do not complain that you have to work 100%. You are a traveller-you have to. Most of us work part-time because we can. We are not travellers.

10)Please do not expect us to remember you--you will be a nameless fuzzy face in our minds.

11)Do not tell us a better way to do things. There are many ways to do things. You are a traveller, we will not welcome or appreciate your remarks.

12)Do not complain about your assignment--you are not going to get a good one most of the time.

13)Do not complain if you have to float so a regular staff person can pick up an extra shift on their unit. They have priority over you.

14)It does not seem that there are as many good reasons to travel now as n the 90s. Now, your agency is making a lot of $$ and you are not. Also, most areas have minimized the use of travellers by paying their own staff better than you, treating them better and giving them better perks than you now have

Robyn 28

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 12:40 pm
Wow, you must be quite bitter, as you have quite an axe to grind. What business of yours is it what other nurses make? Just do your job and stop acting like this is Jr. High for crying out loud!

If you take such an objection to hearing the opinions of travellers just because you deem them to be second-class nurses you need to work on your self-esteem. Well-adjusted people can handle when others have the temerity to voice their opinion without becoming a jerk.

Travelling is a choice that makes sense for some, and not for others. Begrudging them only makes you look sour and bitter.

Live your life, and let others live theirs. Travelling can be a rewarding option for some, and the bitter animosity you exhibit is your problem, and not that of the travelling nurse.

LGLee2

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 03:41 am
CAN I GIVE YOU (STAFF NURSE) SOME ADVICE FROM A TRAVELER

1. GREET THE TRAVELER WITH OPEN ARMS. WE ARE THERE TO HELP YOU! MOST OF US ARE HIGHLY SKILLED AND VERY PROFESSIONAL IN OUR JOBS! WE ARE NOT DRUG ADDICTS OR HAVE PERSONALLITY DEFECTS. WE LEAVE OUR POSITION BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU, NOT BECAUSE WE ARE AFRAID OF OUR "PROBLEMS" BEING DISCOVERED, BECAUSE OUR PROBLEMS AREN'T ANY DIFFERENT THAN YOURS. MOST OF US JUST LIKE TO TRAVEL.

2. MOST OF US DON'T WHINE AND MOAN. WE ARE THERE BECAUSE YOU NEED US, OTHERWISE YOU'D BURNED OUT FROM BEING SHORT STAFFED; HAVING TO WORK OVER TIME AND DOUBLES. BE GRATEFUL WE ARE THERE TO HELP YOU AND TREAT US WITH RESPECT, YOU JUST MIGHT GET IT IN RETURN.

3. LISTEN TO US. WE MIGHT HAVE SOME GOOD IDEAS. WE'VE BEEN AROUND AND SEEN HOW OTHER PLACES DO THINGS AND IT JUST MIGHT IMPROVE THINGS FOR YOU.

4. IF I'M SICK, HAVE COMPASION, I WOULD FOR YOU! YES I AM A TRAVELER BY CHOICE AND ONE OF THE BEST NURSES YOU'LL EVER MEET!

5. IF YOU DON'T WANT US TO BRAG ABOUT OUR WAGES, DON'T ASK!
I HAVE 13 YEARS EXPERIENCE AS A NURSE AND 2 AS A TRAVELER. THE MONEY IS BETTER. MOST OF IT GOES IN MY POCKET AND NOT ALL TAXED. IN THE LONG RUN , I MAKE AS MUCH IF NOT MORE THAN STAFF NURSES. I SUPPORT A HOME AND TWO FAMILIES ON THIS INCOME AND STILL HAVE MONEY LEFT OVER TO HAVE FUN AND TAKE CRUISES. ALOT OF US OWN HOMES AND HAVE THE SAME DEBTS YOU DO, SO JUST ASSUME YOUR LOT IN LIFE IS DIFFERENT FROM OURS.

6. IT IS MY POSITION. I'VE BEEN ASSIGNED THE POSITION BY THE STAFFING AT THE HOSPITAL AND UNTIL MY CONTRACT(S) ARE COMPLETED, IT IS MY POSITION. MY POSITION IS A TRAVEL NURSE TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR STAFFING NEEDS. PLEASE RESPECT THAT!

7. I DO EXPECT THE SPECIAL PERKS I EARN THEM AS WELL AS THE NEXT GUY.

8. MOST TRAVELER ARE WILLING TO FILL THE HOLES AND MOST TIME WE WILL DO THE OVERTIME ALSO. WE ARE A PART OF YOUR STAFF WHILE WE ARE THERE, WETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT. WE WOULDN'T BE THERE IF THE NEED WASN'T THERE!!!!!! YOU NEED TO REMEMBER, WE HAVE FAMILIES TO AND SOME OF THEM TRAVEL WITH US!

9.NO I DON'T HAVE TO WORK 100% I CHOOSE TO. IF I WANTED TO I COULD WORK PART TIME I CHOOSE TO WORK FULL TIME.

10. TRY TO REMEMBER OUR NAMES. WE JUST MIGHT HAVE TO BE AT YOUR BACK IN A BAD SITUATION. WE MIGHT BE THE ONLY ONES AVAILIBLE. PLUS, YOU'RE MISSING OUT ON SOME PRETTY WONDERFUL FRIENDSHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!! SO QUIT BEING A SNOB AND LOOSEN UP!

11. TRY LISTENING, YOU JUST MIGHT LEARN SOMETHING OR IS THAT WHAT YOU ARE AFRAID OF? BECAUSE WE TRAVEL, WE SEE AND LEARN ALOT OF DIFFERNT WAYS TO DO THINGS, IT MIGHT JUST MAKE YOUR JOB EASIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. REMEMBER WE ARE THERE TO HELP YOU SO DON'T STICK US WITH THE WORST ASSIGNMENTS ALL THE TIME. WORD GETS OUT ON HOW TRAVELERS ARE TREATED AND YOU MIGHT JUST HAVE TO GO BACK TO THE BURN OUT IF YOU TREAT US TO BAD. TRAVELERS TALK TO EACH OTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. REMEMBER WE ARE CONTRACTED AND HAVE TO WORK A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF HRS FOR THE CONTRACT. IF YOU ARE OVER STAFFED YOU ARE THE FIRST TO GO HOME FOR THE SHIFT, NOT US. IT'S IN OUR CONTRACT. MOST OF US DON'T MIND FLOATING IT'S ALSO IN OUR CONTRACT THAT THE HOSPITAL CAN USE US WHERE WE ARE NEEDED!

14. REMEMBER MOST OF US CHOOSE TO TRAVEL BECAUSE WE GET PAID TO SEE NEW PLACES AND MAKE NEW FRIENDS. THE MONEY IS GREAT! IN MOST CASES I MAKE AS MUCH IF NOT MORE THAN YOU. I DID FIGURE OUT THE DIFFERENCES AND I KNOW I GET TO PUT ALOT MORE IN MY POCKET. ONLY THE WAGES ARE TAXED THE REST IS TAX-FREE. MY HEALTH INSURANCE I DO NOT PAY A DEDUCTABLE AND MOST EVERY THING IS COVERED. I HAVE PERKS. I GET PAID FOR REFERRALS, COMPLETING CONTRACTS. I TRAVEL, TAKE CRUISES, ABLE TO SEND MY PARENT'S ON A CRUISE (7 DAY TOP DECK FOR PASSENGERS), I GET TO MAKE NEW FRIENDS AND SEE NEW PLACES. ON TOP OF THAT I HELP SUPPORT MY DAUGHTER AND 2 KIDS WHILE SHE GOT BACK ON HER FEET. MADE HOUSE PAYMENTS AND ENJOY LIFE. SO YOU SEE, I'M NOT MUCH DIFFERENT THAN YOU, EXCEPT I CHOOSE TO TRAVEL FOR A LIVING. THIS IS MY CHOICE, I DON'T DOWN YOU FOR BEING A STAFF NURSE, AND PLEASE GIVE RESPECT, YOU MIGHT JUST NEED ONE OF US TRAVELERS WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT, EVEN IF IT IS JUST A HUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Sandy4938

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 09:40 am
bitter staff nurse
Wow...I am considering travel nursing at the present time. I am deeply saddened by the bitterness of the staff nursing comments. I am not addicted to anything, and not hiding from anything! I have a home and a son leaving for college and it is my chance to see the country and make new friends. I also have a home mortgage and equity!

Haven't we all taken psychology in nursing? Have some of you forgotten compassion for others in your career?

We are the largest organized body in the U.S. and if we pull together and support each other in such a stressful career we can become a serious agent for change, compassion and improved working conditions! Smile

Why be so jealous? If a person is happy with their life, why begrudge someone else for experiencing something different? Aren't travel nurses there to pick up the slack....but not to be USED and abused? Would you do that to a friend or family member if you had a need? Shocked

I am traveling to spend time with my niece. I am tired of the cold and she wants to leave Florida. We are close and want to spend time together and have the same schedule so we can keep our families connected. What is wrong with such a goal and why be so jealous if you are able to have security, retirement and family close by? Laughing

I think nurses with such attitudes need to change careers, jobs or take a vacation and stop "eating their young."
Sad

tlc101171

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:44 am
Re: Your travel expertise is needed...
i'm a traveler presently in washington..i had 50,000 in student loans..in one year they are almost gone...they would have been totally wiped out except i chose to buy a car...good luck...
LibertyRN wrote:
Hi! I'm looking into beginning my travel nursing career! I am a new nurse with a little over a years med/surg experience. I am talking to two different companies and trying to decide which route I want to take. If you could give me one piece of advice what would it be?? What do you wish you knew when you first stated traveling?? Is it acceptable to keep my apartment and still travel across the country?? Is the money really worth it...(I only ask that b/c I am in debt upto my eyeballs from college loans Sad ) You all have such knowledge and experience so any advice you can offer would be appreciated! Thanks!

ridinrn

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 03:54 pm
response to Allyally534
I just joined this forum, and read your post.....whew! Boy are you bitter!
I am in my first travel assignment, am 51, my husband and I are together in our RV, sold our home and are having the time of our lives. We don't do drugs, or have a personality defects (other than me going through a mid life crisis and getting a tatoo)..LOL.....I was a staffer for over 9 years, and felt I wanted to see the country before I was too old to be able to do it. We ride motorcycles and this is the perfect way to have a paid vacation. There are a lot of travelers at my facility and most seem to have a good sense of personality and responsibility. Just coming from being a staffer, I think you can get so stuck in a place, you don't simply have the guts to get out. I meet so many staffers here and at my former facility that all they do is complain and are bitter about life and their job. Traveling is a way to get a new perspective and broaden your interests and conversations. As far as drugs, I was drug tested three times prior to coming to my assignment. We're always drug tested a lot, so I can't imagine someone toking away till their next assignment. Do you realize Ms. Allyally, that in order to walk into a facility and nurse effectively you have to have some good skills? There's always a bad apple in the bunch, I agree, but you seem to have a bitter, one sided approach to things. Before you state a lot of travelers have personality defects, you may want to look in the mirror.

samj1

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 08:50 pm
allyally534- ALL OF US HAVE WORKED WITH NURSES LIKE YOU. YOUR ARE ONE THAT EAT THEIR YOUNG! I WAS WARNED OF YOU 18 YEARS AGO WHEN I FIRST STARTED MY CAREER. I STILL SIDE STEP AND IGNORE THE LIKES OF YOU. YOU GIVE NURSES A BAD NAME. I SAY TO YOU, I HOPE WITH YOUR ATTITDUE YOU WORK SHORT EVERY SHIFT! YOU DESERVE IT.. I CAN ONLY IMAGINE THE CARE YOU GIVE YOUR PATIENTS WITH YOUR BITTER ATTITUDE WITH YOUR OWN. SAD!

Katherine 1

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 04:40 am
Allyally534
Allyally534:

Are you sure I didn't just work with you ?

Seems to me that I've had at least 3 or 4 assignments working with the likes of you !

I am sorry that you are so unhappy, but it's really not my problem. In fact, as long as I travel your unit politics/anger/personal problems don't affect me for more than 13 weeks....and then I get to move on while you and your fellow staff are stuck with your bitterness.

I worked with your kind as a staff RN and then decided that if I traveled, I would at least get a change of faces even if your type of personality continued to show up in my life occasionally.

Perhaps your burn out will force you into an alternate career ? I certainly hate to be one of your patients.

Jbann

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 02:00 pm
Dear Staff RN
Dear Staff RN,
I think someone is in need of a career change. I hope, as a patient, I never get you as my nurse!

sherryrnccu

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 10:56 pm
Re: bitter staff nurse
Sandy4938 wrote:
Wow...I am considering travel nursing at the present time. I am deeply saddened by the bitterness of the staff nursing comments. I am not addicted to anything, and not hiding from anything! I have a home and a son leaving for college and it is my chance to see the country and make new friends. I also have a home mortgage and equity!

Haven't we all taken psychology in nursing? Have some of you forgotten compassion for others in your career?

We are the largest organized body in the U.S. and if we pull together and support each other in such a stressful career we can become a serious agent for change, compassion and improved working conditions! Smile

Why be so jealous? If a person is happy with their life, why begrudge someone else for experiencing something different? Aren't travel nurses there to pick up the slack....but not to be USED and abused? Would you do that to a friend or family member if you had a need? Shocked

I am traveling to spend time with my niece. I am tired of the cold and she wants to leave Florida. We are close and want to spend time together and have the same schedule so we can keep our families connected. What is wrong with such a goal and why be so jealous if you are able to have security, retirement and family close by? Laughing

I think nurses with such attitudes need to change careers, jobs or take a vacation and stop "eating their young."
Sad

kalbo3

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 03:38 pm
Bitter Much?
OMG allyally...Bitter much? That's an understatement. You are the type of nurse that gives nurses a bad rap. Whatever happened to compassion? I bet you used to be a good nurse that was happy about her career choice and treated others with respect. Now you just sound like a scorned woman that is burnt out. Not happy about someone? THEN KEEP IT TO YOURSELF. Didn't your parents ever teach you "If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all." Get off your soapbox and get angry about things that matter. Plllleeaaassse.

stellar 1

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 07:45 pm
Oh My!! I am considering traveling and am reading this forum for info and came across Ms/Mr. AllyAlly's post...Sorry, but this isn't about nursing, this is someone who has forgotten how to live! What a missed opportunity to meet a new and interesting person, who is also ultimately there to assist your facility to staff safely. I traveled officially about twenty years ago with an an agency, but really have traveled around as an unofficial traveler here and abroad most of my 30 year career. I got a BA just recently (at 51) in Anthropology and Sociology because I am just fascinated by people and culture. How sad that this nurse cannot see the awe and excitement in just experiencing the humanity around her. Undoubtedly one of the perks in traveling is learning and growing, and meeting new and interesting people, and yes the occasional drone who serves to remind us what we don't want to become!

NEHuskerRN

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2008 03:44 am
Ally's got an Issue
I've looked up her other comments on this site...all sound just as bitter. Even starting out in first semester nursing school from the "#1 university"...where ever that may have been!! Confused

Tamarah1715

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 05:18 pm
Yikes...I guess someone has had bad experiences with travelers....

rkovler

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 07:14 pm
To the Bitter Staff Nurse
Wow, sometimes a "professional" has been in their business way too long and should consider a career change. Possibly you should look into this possibility.

It is horrific that you took the time to be so mean and spiteful to a fellow RN who is trying to find her niche in the nursing industry.

I hope I never end up at your hospital. I've never been treated with such disrespect and bitterness as you've displayed in your post. And, travel nurses are not second class nurses. We are professionals just as you are and expect to be treated as an equal professional. Just because we choose to travel doesn't mean we choose to get treated in an unfair way.

Another possibility is that you are jealous that you cannot see the places and have the adventures we have. I'll have you know I do own a home and do get all the benefits from owning a home AND am fortunate enough to be able to travel and see parts of the country I probably never would have been able to.

I hope your attitude changes for the sake of your fellow employees and any travelers who would be unfortunate enough to have to work along side you!

peachy13rn

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 05:11 pm
What a bitter person. We choose to travel and this ALLY obviously chooses to complain. Don't listen to the negative comments this person left. Yes, travelers are watched more closely....but there are enough staff nurses with their own issues, like JEALOUSY, BITTERNESS, DRUG HABITS, etc. Just get out there and prove yourself and you'll be fine.

ndjanice

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 01:44 am
Travel experiences
It sounds as if some people haven't been happy with their traveling experiences. I have been traveling for going on 3 years and I love it. The reason I decided to travel was to see the world and meet new people, most of which I still have contact with. Nope, not a drug addict, or trying to escape something before being found out. There are however some hospitals that are not receptive to travelers, I personally think they resent the fact that we may make more money, or they may just want to travel, who knows. I keep my little home and return between assignments. I need that security, but I know many travelers that just go from one assignment to another, with no home roots, and thats ok too, it works for them. You have to have a very good attitude when going into a new place. Just remember we are there to help them. We are not there to change the way they do things or impose our way of doing things on them. Don't complain, think of it as a learning experience and how well cultured a person you can become. Always ask questions about how things are done in their facility, they will respect you for that and won't come off as a know it all, a big turn off for the staff, and creates trust issues. I say if you are thinking about traveling, DO IT! Life is what you make it. Good Luck!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Your travel expertise is needed...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:16:12