Nursing pay

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Nursing pay

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 07:33 pm
Nursing pay
I was wondering how much other nurses get paid per hour. I have read an article that the mean nurses salary is $55,000 and there is NO WAY I make that much and have been a nurse for 10 years. I have been thinking of moving to some other area of the country if nurses are making more there. Does anyone know of any website that shows hourly wages for nurses across the country?

Ginger Snap

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 01:20 pm
http://www.nurseweek.com/salary/

Wildflower63 1

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 07:46 pm
I have to side with Justanurse, which i think you could do better than that, with name. You are far from 'just a nurse'. You are a nurse who works hard no matter what conditions. That is called an accomplishment, so change your name! I was using humor here, so don't get mad at me!!

Even if you are 'just a nurse', you must be smart. Four years ago, in the exact same area, I used to make $5/h more money at a PT rehab hospital. I can't crack $21/hr today. Wages did go down and you are far from wrong, no matter what the net says. Lots of luck finding that 55k/y earnings.

I agree with Justanurse. Our wages are going way down, for new employees and just below realistic inflation for nurses who stay with the same employer. It used to be my grand way to a good raise, changing jobs. Like my employer is really going to give me this much more money! They perfer to hire someone less expensive, so you keep hopping to the next job and always watch the news of nursing and someone who will pay you better. This is how nurses get a realisic pay wage, changing jobs!

The pay to new hire nurses went way down. The raises for nurses working for the same facility doesn't even keep up with inflation, meaning you make less every year. I agree. This is true.

Ginger Snap

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 12:21 am
Sorry Wildflower and JustANurse, that both of you live in parts of the country where the salaries are so low, but, in my current position, I make $58,000/year. A year ago, I was offered an L&D position making $31/hour and with shift differentials, this would be close to $35/hour. So these salaries are not unrealistic, but you do have to move to parts of the country where the cost of living is higher in order to make this much money.

Justanurse

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 10:18 am
OK Ginger now I am curious as to which part of the country you work in. The hospital I work for starts new grads off at $17/hr, In Richmond which is a larger they have more hospitals so they start there nurses off around $21/hr. Alot of crime in that area, so I dont want to move there. I live in Virginia, the good ole south. I work for the largest hospital in the area, and I am a Case Manager. I staff the floor sometimes on weekends to keep my skills up. I have done L&D and if somewhere is paying $31 please tell me I may be willing to move there!

Justanurse

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 10:26 am
Salary.com is not accurate as to the pay in this area. So I wonder if it is accurate for others? I checked my hospital and job and it was off by $8,000 as to what it said the salaries here are.

Ginger Snap

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 10:50 am
http://www.denverhealth.org/Hr/JobSearchResult.aspx?position=5

Please look at the salary ranges for this hospital in Denver. These wages are pretty typical here and because it's the city hospital, may be a little low. If anyone is paying less than these wages in this city, they have a very hard time filling their positions.

Also, I've been a nurse for a long time, so I usually get quoted salaries that are at the top of the pay range.

The cost of housing here is pretty high. Expect to pay a minimum of $250,000 for a decent house, townhomes and condos cost $150,000 and up.

Justanurse

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 05:21 pm
Hey Ginger,
The houses here start $189 and go up it depends on the area you are looking at. I think the housing cost have gone up everywhere. The cost has gone up in my area about $50,000 in the past 3 years

Justanurse

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 05:27 pm
Hey Ginger,
Thanks! I looked at that, but you couldnt pay me to live in Denver! I have been to colorado Springs twice in the past month, Colorado is pretty but not my type of area.

Wildflower63 1

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 12:37 am
Ginger, I am so happy to say this site has someone who knows it all and a computer to back it!! Thank you so much for enlightening members, even if it isn't true. You do give grand encouragement to our peers.

Ginger, you are another brilliant nurse, so why don't you just take over answering all questions, since you have all answers? I am so thrilled I don't have to go to work and put up with you. Nurses like you are what makes it miserable for the rest of us, who you look down upon.

Go right ahead and get offended. This wouldn't be the first time I put a nurse who wishes to cost others their jobs by intimidation and back stabbing straight in their place. Ginger, this is the impression you give to others here. I seriously doubt that I am the only one who thinks this, but the only one who will call you on it.

Quit being such a bitch! The info you gave just isn't true. Hospitals and nursing facilities have seriously cut back on every penny. Today, we make less money and have fewer staff than ever before. Why wouldn't you tell a member the truth about this?

Who are you Ginger, some DON trying to fool nurses into taking low wages for their work? Why are you pretending like our wages have gotten higher and we have adequate staffing, when this is not true at all, no matter what your computer says? I am a working nurse and know how it is all over the country. I tried travel nursing to get a better wage. It's no better, I don't care how far you travel.

The fact is, no facility you apply for a job will ever tell you wage, unless they want to hire you. Wage is a big secret to everyone. Don't let the DON or Nurse Manager catch you talking about it. I am so sick of dealing with bitches that act like I don't care about my patients because I really do have bills to pay. We all work for the same reason, money. We agree to good nursing care for a dollar per hour figure and it is going way down.

Don't listen to Ginger. She obviously has a husband, inheritance, stable job, or something in her personal life that she doesn't notice nursing wages beyond looking it up on the computer. I do know she is far from giving correct information. I live it while she looks it up on Google. Who do you trust?

Ginger Snap

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 05:58 am
Wildflower, you obviously have an agenda. The website I showed you is real, and at one time, I worked for that hospital. My wages are as I stated, and are typical for this area. My current position is as a staff nurse in an LTC facility, where wages are typically lower than in the hospital.

I am what I am. I do not lie. For your own reasons, which reflect negatively on you, you choose not to believe what is in black and white.

Head Nurse

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 09:22 am
Wildflower63, if you are unable to remain civil on these forums your access to these forums will be suspended. This is not the place to use vulgar insults against fellow members.

joffus

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 03:09 pm
Nurses do get paid.
I am an RN and work in an ICU in South Carolina. Last year I made $75,000. This year I will make close to $83,000. The median wage in my area is $50,000. I have made this money by working nights and weekends were the differentials add up to an additional $19/hr. I work on average 48hours per week and when the hospital is offering overtime bonus, which is $10/hr I work that as much as possible. My base rate is $23/hr +$3nights +$4/hr weekend +12/HRWOW (Weekend Only Work-I agreed to work every weekend and only take off one weekend in 3 months.) This brings my pay rate up to $42/hr!! When I pick up overtime that has the $10/hr bonus my rate is almost $45/hr. This includes full benefits. I have done this for several years and have gotten myself into a position where my wife can stay at home with our 2 children and I can stop working so much and work only 36hrs per week and spend more time with my family where the REAL wealth is. The opportunities are there, but they must be found. Don't get discouraged. Develop a plan for yourself and your family and use the opportunities of nursing to get yourself there.

Spiffy McJesus

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 05:45 pm
Southern Oregon. Our latest contract is $24.90 - $34.40 RN base rate. $2.00 evening differential, $4.00 night differential, and $4.00 weekend differential. You can get an extra .50 to $2.00/hr for BSN and critical care certifications

My guess is most full time nurses are pulling in 60-75K.

Housing (depending on area) goes from $250K minimum to 1 million+, unless you want a used former meth lab single wide trailer in the boondocks. Rents start at $650 for a basic 2 bedroom apartment.

dolphin8rn

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 01:18 am
You have to remember nurses salaries are going to vary state to state depending on the cost of living. You also have to keep in mind the type of institution you work at. Meaning I work downtown and I pay for parking, therefore my salary is going to reflect that. Someone who works in a smaller community hospital and does not have to pay for parking I know for a fact is not going to get paid as much as me. You have to keep all that in mind.

mariezd

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 12:47 pm
Gingersnap,

I enjoy reading your posts. You seem level headed and competent. I'm sure you are a great nurse and would be wonderful to work with.
Is it possible the median salary postings also include the benefit package cost? Sometimes that is figured into the gross median salary rate. It usually is for other career salaries. Such as median salary may be $52,000 but after health benefit deductions and other benefits your base annually salary may only be $41,000.

mariezd

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:03 pm
Also, median is just that ...median. Some are at the higher end of the bell curve, some lower.

jondoug

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 08:26 am
Chicago salaries
Hi All,

Excellent discussion. Any idea what an RN with about 10 years experience can expect in Chicago?

growlowbunch

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 09:21 pm
I suppose my salary is comparable with a 21/hr base rate I also work wow with an 8hr weekend diff ( I think that is on the low side) but I don't feel the rate is comparable with my degree. I have a BSN and honestly the Collagan water delivery man makes the same amount of money as I do. I think they may be union don't know. Anyway I know that I could make 75,000 a year if I wanted to work 60 hours a week, at night including weekends but that doesn't seem that great to me.

ICU RN

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 09:26 pm
pay
HI southern Oregon - same here but different pay. No weekend differentials no BSN differential, a big 0.75 for our CCRN differential which they required us to obtain and the high end of our scale is 30.16. Where are you from , we are considering union. Not just for pay but poor staffing.

It would be interesting to have everyone post where they are from and their pay or payscale. I honestly do not know our scale but i am at the top or should be after 20 + years. Not being union the pay has been very uneven for various individuals.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Nursing pay
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:32:46