How do I Transition from Student to Nurse

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » How do I Transition from Student to Nurse

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

RN2Be

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 12:24 pm
How do I Transition from Student to Nurse
You have all once upon a time ago been the "dreaded student". I will be graduating in May, and have a great job lined up. However, I am known at this hospital as a student, due to clinical and precepting experiences. How do I enter the "work force" as an equal, per say, as the RN, not the "student". I want to have good, positive and professional relationships with my co-workers. Any advice from all who have been the "student nurse" would be appreciated.

Robyn 28

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 04:48 pm
In my experience it has sometimes been harder to rewrite perceptions about myself within a company than to gain upward mobility through a new employer.

LisaRN

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 06:47 pm
Its a bit difficult in the beginning...however, if you have a good preceptor, you shouldnt have any problems.

I had an excellent preceptor who took me under her wing til she and I both felt I could handle it. After about 3 days, I took patients on my own, but always had her there as back up.

I, too, started on a floor that I frequented as a student, however, I was a student on day shift and began working on nite shift...they didnt know me really, but knew that i was fresh out of school.

Hopefully you will work with some really good nurses who dont mind you asking questions when you need to.

good luck
LisaRN

nurseparamedic

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:49 pm
Curious what you mean by "equal". The title doesnt make one so, if you mean experience and skills you will just have to do your time.

If you have questions...ASK! If you are unsure of something...ASK!

Never assume and always remember you are in a profession that deals in peoples lives. What is said and done can not only affect the patient but also the family sometimes for years to come.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » How do I Transition from Student to Nurse
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 04:28:41