The 2011-2 a2k design feedback thread

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:34 pm
@Reyn,
Unfortunately it seems that is an IE bug, where those gradients cause the text to look like it was printed without enough ink (or that the monitor is too bright).

Because of that we have removed the gradient effects for IE, making the text less legible but the site doesn't look it's best in that browser as a result. Here's to hoping IE9 will fix this bug and allow us to do gradients without degrading the text that way.

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:36 pm
If this helps Robert/Nick, let me know and I'll continue it. If no help, let me know and I won't waste our time.

Quote:
Summary of Feedback so far:

Tags - visible for Forum, not for Groups. Will there be a separate tagging system for Groups?

Reply All button - Groups -- needs the label changed from "Reply" to "Reply All." Mouse-over label reads as Reply to All.

BBCode link in Edit Post view does not function. FIXED

Blue Banner - Text alignment problems in some browsers - Forums and Groups labels display as vertical column rather than in a horizontal line.

Page number navigation and Reply All button in both systems - needs to be moved above the related topics list.

Read Tracking -- works in Forums, not in Groups

Emoticons BBCode menu in Groups needs to have graphics repopulated/refreshed so they can display. FIXED

Font readability problems in both systems.

PMs - Number of new messages indicator not functioning correctly according to dlowan.

For Groups - Orange line under last post to indicate an unread post in a topic works but does not disappear after that last post has been read.

Need a more visual indicator when you are in Groups and not in Forums - perhaps a color change?

Questions:

Will our user preferences be global for both forums and groups or will we be able to have different preferences for each?

Will there be a Recent Posts list for Group posts on our profile pages?

will there be any membership time/post quantity restrictions on new members for when they are allowed to join groups? Create groups?

Will we see a list of members in the groups?

xrisxs

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:38 pm
all i want to ask is where did the chatroom go that i was in before the changes? and now i have to hit tab twice from my name to the password entry. i only noticed because when i tab by instinct i start typing and i am on the blue reset pass thing. oh and i do like the popular headline at the top is the first because i do find myself hitting it the most. something clever going on in here.

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:38 pm
S'OK . . . ain't that much different.

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:40 pm
@xrisxs,
I ran into that problem too, but I've had to log in enough times today that I've now broken the habit and just hit the tab key twice instead of once.

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:48 pm
@Robert Gentel,
But it is still too light isn't it? Can other IE users comment?

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 06:53 pm
@Robert Gentel,
This is written using IE and XP.

I have the opposite results. I just switched over to IE and find the fonts much much easier to read. They are darker and the outline of them doesn't have that gray shadowy effect that it has in Firefox.

I'm going to switch back over to Firefox in a second and edit this to tell you the results of zooming in with Ctrl +. When I'm in Firefox and zoom in the view, the fonts have much more clarity and contrast.

This is written using FF and XP.

Edit: When in default view while using Firefox, the fonts are very faded as if, as you described, there isn't enough ink in the printer. However, when I use Ctrl + to zoom in, the fonts suddenly darken as if they've been bolded, have more clarity and are larger. When zoomed in, there is no difference in fonts between IE and FF. If not zoomed in, there is a big difference.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 07:02 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

This is written using IE and XP.

I have the opposite results. I just switched over to IE and find the fonts much much easier to read. They are darker and the outline of them doesn't have that gray shadowy effect that it has in Firefox.

I'm going to switch back over to Firefox in a second and edit this to tell you the results of zooming in with Ctrl +. When I'm in Firefox and zoom in the view, the fonts have much more clarity and contrast.

This is written using FF and XP.

Edit: When in default view while using Firefox, the fonts are very faded as if, as you described, there isn't enough ink in the printer. However, when I use Ctrl + to zoom in, the fonts suddenly darken as if they've been bolded, have more clarity and are larger. When zoomed in, there is no difference in fonts between IE and FF. If not zoomed in, there is a big difference.

That's because Firefox puts your text into 'bold' when you zoom it to a certain point. Not a function of A2K.

Cycloptichorn

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 07:08 pm
I don 't find the beloved Ignore button.

Is this gonna be like Pandora 's Box ????

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 07:18 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Did you attempt to view the profile while in the Group system? If so, the follow user, ignore user and message user buttons are not yet visible while in Groups.

If you navigate back out to the forums, you'll see them there.

I'll add that to the list of things needing fixed.

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 07:20 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

If this helps Robert/Nick, let me know and I'll continue it. If no help, let me know and I won't waste our time.

Quote:
Summary of Feedback so far:

Tags - visible for Forum, not for Groups. Will there be a separate tagging system for Groups?

Reply All button - Groups -- needs the label changed from "Reply" to "Reply All." Mouse-over label reads as Reply to All.

BBCode link in Edit Post view does not function. FIXED

Blue Banner - Text alignment problems in some browsers - Forums and Groups labels display as vertical column rather than in a horizontal line.

Page number navigation and Reply All button in both systems - needs to be moved above the related topics list.

Read Tracking -- works in Forums, not in Groups

Emoticons BBCode menu in Groups needs to have graphics repopulated/refreshed so they can display. FIXED

Font readability problems in both systems.

PMs - Number of new messages indicator not functioning correctly according to dlowan.

For Groups - Orange line under last post to indicate an unread post in a topic works but does not disappear after that last post has been read.

Need a more visual indicator when you are in Groups and not in Forums - perhaps a color change?

Questions:

Will our user preferences be global for both forums and groups or will we be able to have different preferences for each?

Will there be a Recent Posts list for Group posts on our profile pages?

will there be any membership time/post quantity restrictions on new members for when they are allowed to join groups? Create groups?

Will we see a list of members in the groups?

New additions:

When in the Group system and viewing a user profile, the Follow User, Ignore User and Message User buttons are not there. They are still there when in the Forum system.

tanguatlay

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 07:22 pm
The bold, italise, underline, quote etc parts are missing.

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 07:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Just highlighting this bit of my comment:

Quote:
I just switched over to IE and find the fonts much much easier to read. They are darker and the outline of them doesn't have that gray shadowy effect that it has in Firefox.

Quote:
When zoomed in, there is no difference in fonts between IE and FF. If not zoomed in, there is a big difference.

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 07:23 pm
@Robert Gentel,
too light in IE7
fine in Mozilla

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 07:24 pm
@tanguatlay,
Click on the green BBCode Editor link above your compose post box. That toggles the display of those editor buttons on and off.

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 07:33 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Unfortunately it seems that is an IE bug, where those gradients cause the text to look like it was printed without enough ink (or that the monitor is too bright).

Because of that we have removed the gradient effects for IE, making the text less legible but the site doesn't look it's best in that browser as a result. Here's to hoping IE9 will fix this bug and allow us to do gradients without degrading the text that way.

Have been reading up on gradients and CSS. From the looks of things, this has been an ongoing problem with IE since IE 6! Sheesh!

Here's something interesting I found that might be a clue to what's going on:

Quote:
Hi there
Gradient filter spoils fonts if the gradient is applied. Sympthoms: font Verdana turns into something urgly with juggy edges if I apply the gradient. Everithing is Ok if font size greater then ~13 pt. Bug?
And you guys displays here the only example where font size is huge. I believe, for the reason not to display this issue. Am I right?
Anyway, how to cope with it?
Thanks.

Here's another one with code samples:

http://robertnyman.com/2010/02/15/css-gradients-for-all-web-browsers-without-using-images/

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 08:10 pm
@Butrflynet,
Here it is from the horse's mouth:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2006/08/31/730887.aspx

margo

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 08:29 pm
Looks fine to me - using Firefox 3.6.13

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 08:31 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It sure takes a long time for the words to get from the horse's mouth to their programming code.

No wonder people are moving away from IE in droves.

That first quote I included was from the microsoft forums.

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2011 08:32 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
Groups has migrated under Forums on some pages --

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/9342/89632837.jpg

The only way I've been able to replicate that is by clicking the "compatibility mode" icon (the broken page icon next to refresh) on IE8. I think you may just have hit that instead of refresh but if that is the issue I can't fix it, that is a button to make IE render the page in a more ass-backward mode (so that pages designed to ass-backward mode will render right).

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 03:38:19